Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Officers Sword

Article about: From the photo the damage other than the guard was not evident hence my initial valuation of circa £250. Even at £130, given that the problems could have been resolved, I would probably have

Default German Officers Sword

Hello All,

I have scanned the forums previously and the information has always matched my reference books however after moving house I can’t find my reference books so would like to turn to you all for assistance.

I am looking into purchasing the sword below, and would like some feedback based on the single poor quality image available to me.

It is in an auction later this week, I am confident that it is not a fake however some background information would be nice if any you gents could assist.

I have a price in mind but would welcome suggestions so i am not disappointed

German Officers Sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Officers Sword
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Officers Sword

Good indeed, but more pictures are needed.
    How is the blade?
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Staggeringly quick response!!!

Sadly I will not get more pictures or have chance to see the blade until the day of the sale.

I was thinking it may be a Luneschloss Lion head and by the eagle style i imagine later in the war? but I am not too sure in the absence of my beloved books.

We are well know for our quick answers! ;-)
    I couldn't tell you more for what I see.
    But checking the blade to see if it isn't broken or clipped is a my first reflex.
    cheers
    |<ris
    ps welcome to the forum
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Hi Biggles,

welcome to our forum!
    we have several swords experts here at our forum, but best chance is to give Ryan a PM, his post is right above yours.
    He has tons of swords , and will not have any problems placing yours.

Cheers,
    Ger

Hi Biggles, Like you, I too am a newby so welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately, the photo is not good enough to get the fine detail so identification is not realy possible. By style, it looks like an Eickhorn but could be just about anything. Do you know the maker or trade mark? Authenticity. IMO it looks good and if I saw it for sale I would probably have a pop at it. Condition, it looks complete but has apparently been dropped on the bow of the guard. That would not bother me but I would expect it to be slightly lower in price than a perfect specimin. Purists may be put off by the damage but you could possibly have the guard re aligned. If you buy it and do try to work on the guard, be very carefull! Value, ??? Sight unseen, circa £250/£325. I would think long and hard before I went above about £300 but that is me and I am not you!! I hope that this is of some help to you and am sorry that it is a bit vague. Cheers Michael R

Hi Michael,

I was just admiring your collection; I can see why Gerrit recommended you

Given that I only have an out of focus image to post, everyone has been very helpful.

I think I am going to go after it, like you say it looks original and the misshapen guard is my only real concern.

Your price was higher than mine, but I guess I will see on the day.

May post back if I get it.

Thanks again.

Hi Biggles, Glad to try and be of help. As a matter of interest, what did you value the sword at?? I would be interested to know what it actuaqlly goes out at??? Cheers again Michael R

Hello Mr Biggles..welcome to the forum,,please let us know how you make out with the sword. Phots are a plus for us here. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Just to conclude: the sword went for £130, sadly not to me

I was unwilling to go over £100 as the scabbard was pretty rough, about 60% paint coverage and the damage to the hand guard that was only apparent if you knew the sword style also some oaf had bent the tip of the blade.

Shame to miss out but proved that you should never buy blind

No doubt I shall return for advice in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast