Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??

Article about: Hello What are your thoughts on this sword?? I have looked everywhere for something like it. No maker marks Thank you very much Tony

?

Default German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??

Hello
    What are your thoughts on this sword??
    I have looked everywhere for something like it.
    No maker marks
    Thank you very much
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??   German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??
    P
    Many

Hello,
    In my opinion it is a pattern 1803 British Light Infantry Officer's sword. I do not like the detail (or lack of) however and feel it may be a more modern reproduction. Additionally, the blade does not have the aging one would expect from such an old sword but this may be the small photos. These are my thoughts, and I am certainly not an expert on antique military swords. Here are some comparisons. I should note that the French 'chasseurs de cheval' of the period also used swords similar to this hilt design as pictured. Best regards,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??   German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??  

German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??   German Saxon Sword Lion Head ??  

Attached Images Attached Images German Saxon Sword Lion Head ?? 

?

Hello
    I will take better pictures this afternoon
    Thank you
    Tony

It's not a reproduction it's a authentic sword. It has features common from the late 18th century to mid 19th Century. Looks to me like an infantry hanger of around 1850. Western European is as close as I can place it, but I don't think it's French or English. See what others say.

In agreement it doesn't look like a reproduction to me. I also would tend to think it's earlier rather than later based on the type of engraving with an almost but not quite "Talisman" look to it, and possibly from one of the Germanic states. The 1803 sabers often with better more developed heads, also having a different style of engraving along with fire blued and gilt blades. Best Regards, Fred