Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German sword

Article about: That is the oddest looking ugly ducking I have ever seen, mirror reversed photo would make sense.

Default Re: German sword

That is the oddest looking ugly ducking I have ever seen, mirror reversed photo would make sense.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German sword
    P
    Many

Is not the scabbard way too long for the sword???
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Had a go on enlarging it see if this helps any, just click on the photo and it will open up full
    cheers Ronnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German sword  

Pure junk !! The sword here is a very modern Asian (Chinese?) fake that has all sorts of things wrong on the examples where I have seen better pictures. With Tom ("Swordfish") who has been MIA for quite a while now and myself once having contributed to a discussion on these. And in that same general time frame (more or less) another discussion on the backwards Swastika. Which (if memory serves me correctly) is actually OK with a limited number of swords from Voos. And while he was on top of these as his speciality, there were interesting enough that I think that I may have archived some pictures before I switched computers (I hope ) . With at about the same time Tom very interested in a scarce 'Art Deco' (my words) Lionhead Voos in my collection that we were discussing ................................... when he suddenly "dropped off the radar". Fred

?

I've been told I will have better pictures, not that I'm doubting the consensus of opinion in any way.

Fred would you say the that backward swaz would only be applied after WW1 and up to pre 1933. I cant see this thing being "okayed " and let out into the mainstream Army when this symbol was taken from the ancients and reversed or the NS cause. Any thoughts anyone else on the history of the Swastika and in this case of Voos using this symbol? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The ancient Swazi was used facing both ways, in Asia , stationary -forward meant male and backward , female. It also meant good luck . The Viking variant faced forward but was typically rounded.this sword seems to have a semi-rounded Swazi , or it was poorly cast.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Fred would you say the that backward swaz would only be applied after WW1 and up to pre 1933. I cant see this thing being "okayed " and let out into the mainstream Army when this symbol was taken from the ancients and reversed or the NS cause. Any thoughts anyone else on the history of the Swastika and in this case of Voos using this symbol? Regards Larry
    Larry, Very briefly - while the much scarcer brass examples tend to be better castings, most seem to be the later lesser quality silver colored substitutes underneath plating. Tom and I had a couple of theories as it regarded the one type of Voos, and only Voos. But with the rest of those swords checking out as good the immediate perception of postwar fake disappeared. And it was still under discussion as an unusual, but known variant when he “dropped off the radar”. Best Regards, Fred

?

Here's a better picture of the manufacturer's mark.
    German sword

and here's a link to a similar sword being sold as a reproduction, I couldn't manage to download the pics.

Collectable WWII German Samurai Katana/ DAO/sword,lin head, No41, 98 cm-in Crafts from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com

Saw this today at a flea-market. Different maker's stamp on the blade, but the same animal. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1319
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German sword   German sword  

German sword  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast