Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

German Sword Construction.

Article about: I know, I can hear you thinking, Oh no nat another Sword Thread !!! Sorry but yes, I am setting this thread to try to answer some of the questions a would be sword collector may wish to ask

Supplement 6 The Blade (Reference: Section 2. d. refers).

Conventional German pattern swords include either a fuller(s) or a pipe/quill spine. The blade shown below has neither but has a triangular section. This blade is etched and manufactured by the firm E & F Horster and also bears a stamp "Germany". Therefore, it is possibly an export model even though all other aspects of it, to include the scabbard, are pure German Military??

Last edited by Michael Ryan; 10-10-2014 at 08:28 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Sword Construction.
    P
    Many

Supplement 7 The Blade (Reference: Sections 1. and 2. refer).

The Pattern 1889 Imperial Prussian Infantry Officer's Sword was never adopted by any of the TR organisations as an official pattern weapon. It was however, probably carried by the odd post Imperial ex service organisation though this is speculation? Most German sword collectors will have or will have had an 1889 Sword at some time or other so it is only fair to give this weapon a break down and view its component parts as a matter of reference.

Reference 1. The Hilt Assembly. This hilt assembly is in the process of renovation but is shown for referenc purposes.

I. German Sword Construction.

II. German Sword Construction.

Reference 1. a. The Pommel. The pommel of the 1889 Sword is an assembly comprising the pommel nut and pommel cap.

III. German Sword Construction.

IV. German Sword Construction.

V. German Sword Construction.

VI. German Sword Construction.

VII. German Sword Construction.

Reference 1. c. The Grip Assembly. The grip assembly on this pattern sword comprises the wood former with or without cord, the grip cover, grip wrap and the grip insignia.

VIII. German Sword Construction.

IX. German Sword Construction.

X. German Sword Construction.

Reference 1. d. The Ferrule. The ferrul forms the interface between the grip assembly and the guard.

XI. German Sword Construction.

XII. German Sword Construction.

Reference 1. e. The Guard/Knuckle Bow. The guard can be manufactured in several style to include a single cast incorporating the cartouche, an assembly with a folding carouche and a varying number of upright guard bars.

XIII. German Sword Construction.

XIV. German Sword Construction.

Reference 1. h. The Cartouche. The cartouche on this pattern sword can either be fixed as an integeral part of the guard or can be attached in the form of a hinged lower guard.

XV. German Sword Construction.

Reference 1. i. The Grip Insignia. The standard grip insignia for this pattern sword is the Imperial Royal Cypher of Kaiser Wilhelm II. However other insignia may be encountered and some swords have no insignia on the grip.

XVI. German Sword Construction.

Reference 2. a. The Blade Tang. The blade tang is the blade extesion onto which the hilt is built.

XVII. German Sword Construction.

Reference 2. b. The Blade Ricasso. The ricasso is the upper portion of the blade which forms the shoulders against which the base of the hilt secured. It is in the forn of a "slab" and usually carries the manufacturer's logo and ordnance stampings etc.

XVIII. German Sword Construction.
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 10-10-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Supplement 7 Continued

I. The complete hilt assembly of the Pattern 1889 Sword subsequent to the removal of the grip cover, wrap and insignia.
    II. Ditto from a different angle.
    III. The oval tang nut shown as it would be when inserted through the pommel cap.
    IV. Ditto shown in the inverted position for reference.
    V. The pommel cap shown in the inverted position to view interior.
    VI. Ditto shown in the upright position and showing the hole through which the tang nut is inserted.
    VII. Ditto inverted reference view.
    VIII. The wood grip former spine side. The remains of a shagreen cover can be clearly seen to the right of the grip and the marks left by the former cord can also be seen.
    IX. The grip reverse. The lower edge of the grip former (right of photo) shows the notch which is used to secure the cord former and grip wrap.
    X. The wood grip former cutting edge side with the other elements that make up a grip assembly
    XI. The ferrule in the inverted position to show the cut out edge which accommodates the spring support of the cartouche. Not found on the solid guard.
    XII. Ditto in the position as fitted to the sword.
    XIII. Inner view of the guard assembly showing the hinge and reverse side of the cartouche in the “open” position
    XIV. Outer view of the guard assembly with the cartouche in the “closed” position.
    XV. The cartouche in the open position showing its general shape and positioning.
    XVI. Obverse of the grip former with the holes where the insignia would normally be attached using wire prongs.
    XVII. The blade tang with a riveted spring used to secure the cartouche in whichever position it is required. This is a common addition to swords with moveable cartouches such as the naval sabre and as a feature on the naval dagger etc.
    XVIII. The blade ricasso which in the case of the Model 1889 sword tends to be very long when compared to the various other sword and sabre ricasso patterns.

Supplement 8 The Scabbard (Reference: Section 3. d. refers).

The scabbard drag or foot on most German swords and sabres is a fairly constant shape, however, there are, as with any norms, variations. The drag illustrated is on a sabre scabbard and is very unusual in its shape. Whether the shape is just a manufacturer's variation or has been deliberately altered is a matter of opinion but it does go to show that odd variations do exist.

?

Mr. Ryan Thank you very much for this thread, absolutely amazing information!

Hi, thank you for your message and kind words. I am pleased to think that the thread has been of some interest, even use to you!

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

Hi Michael ...you are too modest and would not say the thread and all the others have been " of some interest "..I would say " Invaluable or Indispensable"

No other forum has the exhaustive content as what you have laid out for the collectors of these kinds of swords. Thankyou

Cheers Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

And you Larry are too generous with your praise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kind words indeed. Now, who are you voting for this time around????
    However, greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

In view of this horrific virus I wish you and your great nation well and that the virus will quickly pass into the annals of world history.

Wishing you and the family all the very best and keep safe!!!

Michael

Praise well deserved Michael, the threads you put together are an invaluable resource for anyone researching or collecting this type of sword. And you've left a legacy for this Forum, long may it endure.
    regards,
    Anderson

Hi Anderson, may I thank you for your kind words please? Like most people, I appreciate a little gratitude and we all like a bit of praise so thank you once again.

Owing to an unfortunate experience, I decided to withdraw from this and all other forums. However, I am greatly swayed by the nice comments of those of you who still follow my threads and will, as soon as time and household duties permit, recommence my input to these and hopefully, other threads, on this, which I personally consider to be one of the best world wide forums in operation, Forum.

With thanks, regards and best wishes to all.

Michael

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast