Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grosser sword SCABBARD question

Article about: Hi guys I have a question on this Grosser sword scabbard. I have never seen navy style scabbard married with army or imperial police sword. Any opinions ? Thank you

Default Grosser sword SCABBARD question

Hi guys
    I have a question on this Grosser sword scabbard.
    I have never seen navy style scabbard married with army or imperial police sword.
    Any opinions ?
    Thank you

Grosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD question

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grosser sword SCABBARD question
    P
    Many

Hi Ivan....thats a question for Michael Ryan.

I would think not is my opinion ..as we have seen whole Army Sabres being worn by the SS in their early days. But never seen an SS degen scabbard married to a Imperial type sabre. I cant see what connection the Naval scabbard would have.

It looks like a nice fit..and is ornate enough to "look like " it belongs together..but so are the challenges we face when seeing parted daggers and swords and proving them to be whole period and always have belonged with each other. Just my thoughts

Wait for other opinions.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Not "in hand" if I had to make a 'guesstimate' with what I seem to be seeing, it's that it's a most likely a May-December marriage. With Eickhorn for example having a very similar Naval officer's scabbard, which as a group don't handle ordinary stresses as well as steel scabbards and the sword itself for a cavalry officer. That said I would like to see the blade, it's markings (some other things) and the size of the sword which can and does vary depending on whether or not it's a full dress version as opposed to the larger sizes which are more comparable to the issue types. Best Regards, Fred

Thank you guys.
    Fred,i will post some pictures of the blade later.
    Just wanted to mention that the scabbard fits perfectly,it wasn't been exchange or replaced .
    That's simply inposible,because the shape and length of the blade.
    Also the scabbard is much wider and thicker than regular navy scabbard.
    The blade is unmarked damascus.

Regards

Ok,here are some pictures of the blade

Grosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD question

Ivan, Many Thanks for the photos/additional information which gives me a better sense of the sword that's not what I first thought. With the inscription not quite legible enough to be completely sure, but from what I can make out it's a private purchase officer's sword with an inscription for a (I'm assuming retiring) Police official at the rank of a senior grade NCO (Wachmeister) - versus a German Army cavalry officer. Ordered with not just a Damascus blade, but also a more ornate scabbard in the manner of a Naval officer's sword. Nice Catch!! Best Regards, Fred

Thank you Fredy
    That's what I think , it's a gift for retired Police Chief.

Regards
    Ivan

Hi Ivan, Just come across your thread. At first glance your sword looks like a mismatch? The langet device is pure cavalry. The blade is high class Damascus. The blade is an early pipe back, usually Army or Navy. and the inscription Police. The scabbard?? Navy?

However, from what you have said, the overall quality, the lack of nautical devices on the scabbard and the similarity of finish on the hilt and scabbard all tend to draw me to reversing my original first glance opinion. Please bear in mind what I am about to say is only an opinion with not authority or proof what so ever!

Could your sword be a presentation gift to a mounted police officer? If so then the quality and finish would be consistent with a high quality presentation item. The inscription effectively supports this theory. The use of a cavalry langet? Crossed sabres is common to a lot of mounted troops and possibly to mounted police? The none standard scabbard is again a feature often seen on presentation items. General Beauregard, designer of the battle flag of the CSA was presented with a sabre with embellished scabbard not that dissimilar to yours. And GA Custer carried a Prussian style cavalry sabre. My point being, presentation weapons, the world over, are the product of the buyer's imagination and availability of the manufacturer's ability.

One question I would pose though, does the scabbard throat match the shape of the blade?

In my opinion, you have a beautiful sword and one which I would be proud to own. Hopefully someone out there in the ether with a lot more knowledge than I will be able to give you a definitive answer rather than just an opinion.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael Ryan

Hi, One last question if I may, is there or has there been a small stud on the reverse if the scabbard throat mount? If not then I stand by my opinion on your sword. If it does have or has had a stud then that would indicate, at least to me that the scabbard has been used for a naval sword, ergo a probable mismatch.

Cheers again Michael

Hi and thank you Ryan for your input and replay.
    Here are some extra pictures .
    To me it is a correct scabbard to the blade as you can see it fits like a glove.
    The color of the fittings is a exact same.

Regards
    Ivan

Grosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD questionGrosser sword SCABBARD question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast