Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grosser sword SCABBARD question

Article about: Hi guys I have a question on this Grosser sword scabbard. I have never seen navy style scabbard married with army or imperial police sword. Any opinions ? Thank you

Hi Ivan, Thank you for your prompt response and the additional photos. Your photos clarify my opinion and as far as I am concerned, go a long way to convincing me of the authenticity of the sword as a total entity. Once again I must concur with Fred's comments #6 refers. The throat is as expected as is the upper scabbard fitment and to me it all seems to match. To further support my opinion of your sword, it has the patent pending "Ges Gesch" stamp under the cross guard indicating that the manufacturer did not copy the sword nor want their sword copied. The arguments and opinions which I have proffered individually prove very little however, cumulatively, they point to what I believe your sword to be. Very desirable!!

Cheers Michael

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grosser sword SCABBARD question
    P
    Many

Thank you Michael

Hi Ivan, I have just come across a presentation sword presented to an Oberst (Colonel) of the Schutzpolizei Koln. The sword is a lion head sabre of Army pattern, very similar to yours but with a standard scabbard. The interesting thing about the sword is the obverse langet which features crossed cannon. Now, I am confident that the police had mounted personel but certainly not artillery. Ergo, I think that the crossed sabres on your sword is perfectly acceptable on a Police sword? The sword has a pipe back blade in Damascus and is dated 1926. Please see photo for which I will probably get told off?

Cheers Michael

Grosser sword SCABBARD question

Thanks Michael,that's very interesting.
    Did you found this sword in original catalog or in reference book ?

Hi Stingray, Do you have a name? A book which is why I half expected a telling off!!

Cheers Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2