Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grosser Swords

Article about: I would like to share my new find from the Max show

Congratulations to Ivan for some exceptionally nice swords!! They are works of art showcasing some of the best made during the Imperial period in Germany with the added bonus being that they are oftentimes researchable (like these named examples).

A topic that might not be that well known by later period collectors here is a brief outline from my own perspective: Unlike TR period swords those from the Imperial era tend to be branch specific. Having a distinct officer’s Infantry pattern sword (foot soldiers, Pioneers etc.), an Artillery pattern, some specific regimental patterns, multiple Kürassier (heavy cavalry) patterns etc. With the “P” guard style hilts generally for artillery and (other) cavalry officers - with a caveat. That being for Prussia there is also a specific Cavalry pattern (not a "P" style guard), with the other German states having their own variables.

Usually with a cast in place indication of the service branch like cannons or swords (as seen here), but with especially some of the larger high grade types instead having a cast border around a blank space on the langet set aside for attaching a separate escutcheon. With at least one period catalog having listings for: “Natürl. Grösse. - 1/2 Natürl. Grösse.” (this can sometimes be a tough call here because of differences in height etc.) and my own sense of it being that there were probably even more sizes as there were with other nations. With some of the largest ones that were or seem to have been carried as combat swords in the field sometimes having besides signs of use, sharpened edges . Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grosser Swords
    P
    Many

WOW Ivan, you had a great show!! The detail, gilded Demast blades and amazing handwork is what this hobby is about! Premium pieces! I really wand to find just one of these Grosser hilt babies! TOP of the art here fellas!! Congrats my friend.. Kevin.

I can only echo the above sentiments of my colleagues.
    Beautiful swords - Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guys
    Ger,in my opinion the GROSSER are the swords with much bigger hilt and mostly with bigger , wider blades.
    This time I went to the Max to find only imperial swords,but I didn't thought I will be able to find these.
    It was a great show for me.
    Fred,thank you for your input, very interesting

Regards

?

Amazing works of art, stingray. Can you tell what material the monogram is made of? It looks like jewelry for the sword. All three are quite beautiful. Congratulations on adding then to your collection.

Hummel

Simply superb.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by stingray View Post
    Thanks guys
    Ger,in my opinion the GROSSER are the swords with much bigger hilt and mostly with bigger , wider blades.......................................

Regards
    That’s the type of criteria that I use myself. From an old impromptu photo shoot here is a side by side visual reference of three as found Officer’s swords. Left to right - a larger Imperial period Artillery Officer’s saber, a relatively average size same period Cavalry Officer’s saber, and an early (brass hilt) TR period Army Officer’s saber. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grosser Swords  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2