MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Imperial lionshead Artillery sword question

Article about: My friend has a Imperial lions head Artillery sword but the ruby eyes I think what is called claw set into the head like a ring not stuck in as normally seen is this unusual ?.

The two inch difference in length in combination with a single fixed ring does bring some other factors into play. That's because typically the single fixed rings on private purchase Imperial swords are most commonly associated with the dress/off duty artillery and some other swords for EM and lower grade NCO's - where their EM combat versions of the swords had single fixed rings. With the senior grades having their own version of the Artillery Officer's saber that carried over into the Weimar era, or the option of acquiring a private purchase Officer's version. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial lionshead Artillery sword question
    P
    Many

?

Ok thanks for that but any reason for a longer scabbard than needed ?. I'm now trying to find more info about the maker and have found two Artillery NCO swords same maker but marking near the hilt one being 1916 dated.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial lionshead Artillery sword question   Imperial lionshead Artillery sword question  

Imperial lionshead Artillery sword question   Imperial lionshead Artillery sword question  

Imperial lionshead Artillery sword question  

Mike, the one with the date is the standard Prussian enlisted man's saber for the mounted artillery known as the a/N M1856 - with the senior grade NCO's having a different model of government issued saber. As for the other one pictured on top, some more information and/or closeup photos would be helpful. Best Regards, Fred

?

The pics come out of a book Fred.

Mike

Quote by Katana View Post
    The pics come out of a book Fred.

Mike
    Mike, thanks for the additional info and if that's all of the information that we have available, then my best guess is that the saber at the top might be a variant of the Saxon artillery saber for enlisted men. Best Regards, Fred

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3