MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mystery sword

Article about: Just came across a a sword in old family belongings. I know nothing about swords so not sure this is even the correct place to be asking questions. The sword marking are Eickhorn SOLINGEN It

Hi Fred, Thank you once again. I think tjat we have become a little confused? We were discussing ordnance swords rather than private purchase? There was nothing preventing me from purchasing or owning an RAF officer's sword but as a SNCO in the RAF I was not allowed to wear it with any of my uniforms. Although our different opinions on this subject have not been satisfied in favour of either of us, I suggest that we put the matter to bed by agreeing to differ????????????????

As always, with utmost respect, Michael

PS, In response to your PS, may I suggest that whilst sword banks may have held a few thousand or even more ordnance swords for training etc there were tens if not hundreds of thousands of Officers and SNCOs most if not all of whom purchased swords during the Weimar, early thirties and early war years. Therefor, I must totally agree with you that Government edged weapons should and are scarcer than PP items.

Cheers again Michael

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mystery sword
    P
    Many

Hello Michael, I don’t think that I was ever confused, but I do think that we are looking at them possibly from different perspectives. My experience in the Army where I don’t ever recall seeing a sword even being carried or in use. And my collecting experience that starts in the Imperial era where some of these swords are clearly marked to active field units. With the so-called “Ordnance" model sword starting manufacture in the Weimar era, an identical in all physical respects saber, I’m reasonably sure they were kept in service but I don’t know the numbers. Also not knowing the final numbers of the serialized 1938 and 1939 contracts? That said, the 1935 contract I know to a certainty is very, very, close to 13,000 but don’t know the final serial number when it actually stopped production. The matter now being put to bed. With Best Regards, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images Mystery sword 

Hi Fred And good night to the subject!! As a matter of interest, a few years ago I purchased a nicely etched US Army sword, made in Germany. On the scabbard it bears an inscription of Viet Nam period with the owners rank and name, a Major of an armoured unit. It wiuld be nice to track him down and see how his service career panned out. Any suggestions?? I also have a Legion of Merit to a female Army nursing colonel so could investigate both perhaps??

Cheers for now and best wishes Michael

Hello Michael, When I first started collecting years ago I did collect some U.S. swords and remember seeing a number of U.S. Army Officer swords that were made in Germany. But as time went on there was competition for space as my family grew, I changed focus more than once etc. etc. - and while I’ve retained a number of U.S. items the swords were not included. That said, possibly in storage, I remember acquiring a book on how to locate information on or for veterans that I will have to try and locate that might help. With Best Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2