Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naval Officer Sword

Article about: Hi All, I am interested in this Navy Officer sword, Imperial era, Gilt is strong, only issue is one missing eye and piece of grip plate is broke(ivory or simulated not sure), the sword is do

Default Naval Officer Sword

Hi All,
    I am interested in this Navy Officer sword, Imperial era, Gilt is strong, only issue is one missing eye and piece of grip plate is broke(ivory or simulated not sure), the sword is double etched and named twice, once on the blade and once on the backgaurd, the name is Friedrich, on the blade it says OEY or HEY s/1. friedrich. does anyone know the meaning? I found a SMS Friedrich in the Imperial Navy, but I beleive its the owners last name and not the ships name, I just cant figure out the part before it, also do you think its a good deal if the price is the upper 3 digit range, I am not sure on value for this style.
    Thank you for your time and help.
    Naval Officer SwordNaval Officer SwordNaval Officer SwordNaval Officer SwordNaval Officer SwordNaval Officer SwordNaval Officer Sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Naval Officer Sword
    P
    Many

For what it's worth, it looks to be a real ivory handle to me.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

It was a beautiful sword-typical of the amazing workmanship of the Imperial sword houses of the day. Unfortunately, for me, the broken grip would significantly reduce it's desirability and value.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think these swords are beautiful, yes the price would have to be low to overlook the flaws but I'm a sucker for etchings and monograms!

I agree that the grip reduces the value but if you can get it
    for the right price it would display very nicely.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    For what it's worth, it looks to be a real ivory handle to me.
    Ralph.
    Ralph all imperial sword and dagger grips are made of Ivory

Max i think its a beautiful named sword, and of course Friedrich is the owners name, should be researchable, you did very well, these are expensive and sought after swords.

Regards,
    Ger

The "?ey s/l Friedrich" indicates the sword was a gift to Friedrich from his friend ?ey (sein leben).

I'm no good reading German script so you will need to figure out the first name - Hey Gey ???

Question

Does anyone know year when was this type of sabre made?

Difficult to precisely date as the design was used for a long time, but very likely pre WW1 and could be as early as 1900.

Lightbulb

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Difficult to precisely date as the design was used for a long time, but very likely pre WW1 and could be as early as 1900.
    Thank you Anderson. I have I believe pre WW1 catalogue and there isn't this sword (or its WW1 one and it was replaced with different model). I see that in other models (similar design) there is a difference in the anchor. Different angle and later removed crown.

EDIT: Correction. I have no idea how I missed it (twice) but it is in that catalogue. Can anyone translate the second row of the text please?

Naval Officer Sword Naval Officer Sword Naval Officer Sword

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast