Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?

Article about: Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original? Hi, firends! I have a question. You can help me? Offered me this sea saber of Germany. The seller says that it is an original saber. I have some do

Default Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?

Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?

Hi, firends!
    I have a question. You can help me?
    Offered me this sea saber of Germany. The seller says that it is an original saber. I have some doubts concerning it.
    You can tell – the copy it or the original.
    What honest price (cost) can and mark this saber?
    Thanks.

Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?
    Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Navy Sea saber – the copy or the original?
    P
    Many

This is a Kaiserliche Marine sword. It's not Third Reich or Kriegsmarine. Besides looking way too new the etching looks bad and the leaves in particular look awful.
    I am no expert on these all at so please hang on until one comes along.

Luke

imperial german,love the port and starboard eyes.for me imo its ok.

Hi, Thank you fo rshowing this sword. Rogge is 100% correct, it is a Kaiserliche Marine sword and a very nice example at that. Although I would be inclined to say that it looks OK to me, there are, none-the-less one or two bells ringing. From a technical point of view, I would suggest that the scabbard fittings do not match. Ergo, the suspenssion ring mounts are different. The lower mount is in the form of a plain ball whilst the upper mount has milled edges. Possibly an error in the scabbard manufacture or, more likely, a replacement mount?? This is a relatively minor point which would not deter me from buying the sword.

However, as Rogge also states, the etching could be better especially for an early Carl Eickhorn blade. But my principle concern is the condition of the hilt, near mint with vertually no wear or dirt commensurate with being over 100 years old. Even the felt washer looks new and I can see no verdigree around the lion's main or mouth. Of course, this could all be explained away, perhaps the sword was wrapped up in duster cloth in 1918 and stowed away having not seen much use by the original owner or perhaps the hit has been refurbished? Etching, possibly a Friday afternoon job in a hurry? Suspension fitment, minor error in assembly? I would like and hope that it is for real but without a good hands on look, I am not convinced of its authenticity. But, as happens, I could be way off!!! I would be interested to read what other sword collectors think.
    Regards and best wishes Michael R

?

Newly made fake.
    Just look at it! it completely lacks any sign of age.
    Take for example the scabbard:its missing the lines in the leather.
    On top of its head there is also the attachment of the tang missing, i can continu but easier way is:
    Look at my late Imperial Saber and just compare...
    Kaiserlicher Marine Sabel by W.K.& C.
    a Give away: the totally new and never been used grip: "Kaiserliche marine Sabers or daggers had an ivory grip.
    Logo is not what i would expect on a sword like this, i would expect two backed squirrels

Stay away from this one..

Regards,
    Ger

Thank, Ger