Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help Identfying German Sword

Article about: I'm possibly interested in selling two dress swords I own which I believe to be from WWII. From the little research I've done, it seems that they are Richard A Herder manufactured and are NC

Default Need Help Identfying German Sword

Need Help Identfying German SwordNeed Help Identfying German SwordNeed Help Identfying German SwordNeed Help Identfying German SwordNeed Help Identfying German SwordNeed Help Identfying German Sword I'm possibly interested in selling two dress swords I own which I believe to be from WWII. From the little research I've done, it seems that they are "Richard A Herder" manufactured and are NCO dress swords. I've included a few pictures because I need help identifying exactly what these bayonets are and which time period they came from.
    Last edited by Larry C; 01-10-2013 at 01:58 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help Identfying German Sword
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need Help Identfying German Bayonets

They're not bayonets-bayos fit on the end of a rifle-as you stated they are dress swords.

I only see one sword and scabbard. Looks like it is an army NCO sword by Richard Abraham Herder like you said. This one would probably be considered below average condition, if you know what I mean. Somebody will know what period it is from, but you may need close ups. Some of these dress swords were worn during WWI, right through the 20s and 30s, and into WWII I believe. Not sure if this one was manufactured during WWII or not?

Corey

Any estimates on the value of it?

I think its an imperial m1858 sword in poor condition, which I could only guess at the price, being 50-75 usd, since one in fair shape is closer to 150-200 generally without significant rust...
    I would wait for more suggestions though since I am not an expert.

I think it's likely WWI era, and agree that it is not worth
    very much because of such poor condtion.........
    Regards,

Steve.

If I were to clean it up by using rust remover/metal polisher would that significantly improve its value? Or should I just leave it alone?

Hello BadRelig....IMO if you are thinking of selling it,, I would leave it well enough alone as you could depreciate it more if you were attempt to restore the sword. A sword like this needs alot of TLC and alot of time. Someone looking to sell the sword right away would do a rushed job of cleaning it up. ( No offense towards you ) This sword would be a nice project of restoration for the sword collector. It is not an over night process and could possibly take months,, if done correctly. The scabbard paint is gone and needs a professional repaint and is unavoidable. I feel the rest of the sword would fare better with using oil to remove the rust and simichrome.
    I would leave this sword alone for the next owner and would clean up nice. But that decision would be up to him. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I know that some dealers make all sorts of claims to entice buyers, but in the catalogs these swords are simply listed as EM sabers. With senior grade NCO's being authorized to the wear the Officer's model saber for both the Imperial and TR era. With my sense of this one so far, TR or maybe Weimar for a mounted enlisted man (which of course can include a junior grade NCO). Being a dress version of the (n/A) Prussian EM artillery saber, which itself was a lightweight version of their M 1811 Kavalleriesäbel which had been reissued to the artillery - and then later on some were reconfigured and reissued one more time for the TR era cavalry.

And if you are not going to keep it, this advice might be best as a (possibly) botched restoration is worse to many collectors than just leaving it alone. FP

Quote by Larry C View Post
    ........................... I would leave this sword alone for the next owner and would clean up nice. But that decision would be up to him. Regards Larry

Default Re: Need Help Identfying German Sword

Well you guys more than delivered with the information I asked for, thank you very much.