Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword

Article about: Hi folks. I am really interested in buying this lion/panther sword. It has a Solingen maker's mark that I don't recognize. It's definitely not on the list of marks that I have, which include

Default Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword

Hi folks. I am really interested in buying this lion/panther sword. It has a Solingen maker's mark that I don't recognize. It's definitely not on the list of marks that I have, which includes about 20 different options. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the difference between a lion and panther head? I can't really tell the difference. Thank you!Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther swordNeed help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword

I believe yours is a panther head sword. Can't help with the maker's mark, though someone here will.
    The first one I have posted is a lion's head, and the second is a panther head.
    The lion's head definately has a larger mane around the head.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword   Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default Re: Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword

The maker is Paul Seilheimer.

Thank you so much you guys. Most definitely a panther-head in this case and Paul Seilheimer. Now the question is... is it worth $400... I've always wanted one with the ruby eyes but this one is a bit rough. I just don't want to get burnt. Thanks again!

This one appears to have some condition issues, I would not be willing to pay that much for it.
    The condition of the gilding on the handle, the scratching and scuffing that is visable on the blade would make me look for another one. They are out there, be patient.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

As Ralph says, the condition is the issue here. $400 is a bit high: try and get it for a bit less.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Your sword is listed in Angolias book "SWORDS OF GERMANY 1900/1945 PAGE #123 as a leopard head type.Hope this helps.If you want a great sword book try to see if you can pick this one up.Carl
    Last edited by goodbuys; 01-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks again everyone. You have been a great help. I passed on the sword and got this 1st Class War Merit Badge instead for $75. Pretty proud of myself because I think it was a really good deal even with the condition issues.

Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther swordNeed help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword

Can we please see nice clear pics of it, as well as the reverse of the medal ?

$75 for a boxed 1st Class War Merit Cross with Swords
    is a real bargain - if it's a good one.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

You make a good point. Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to know if it's real or not. It sure looks, smells and feels authentic. Especially the case. Here are the images I have. Thanks as always for your advice and info.

Need help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther swordNeed help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther swordNeed help identifying this Solingen marking on this lion/panther sword