Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Orange gripped Kriegsmarine sword...

Article about: Here is a in my opinion, a beautifully salty Kriegsmarine sword I couldn't resist! Picked up off EBAN for a nice price, she is an ACS piece that came with its original portopee and a WW1 era

I will give a hint and a chance for the other half of the world a chance to answer the questions I outlined.

Taken from the childrens song written in 1880 ....... " Sailing, sailing over the deep blue sea ( or bounding main ) .... Where many a stormy wind shall blow "
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Orange gripped Kriegsmarine sword...
    P
    Many

Larry:
    I know that I'd hate to drop my sword/dagger overboard!

Luke

Kevin, great find my friend.

I know completely nothing about these types so it great to see and learn something.

Bravo Luke ! yes correct ....out of left field you always have the right answer.

If a dagger or sword happens to slide out of its scabbard accidentally..and falls onto the ground..then easily it is picked up !! .....the same that falls onto the deck of a ship or marine vessel ..and bounces or slides over board...then you are left with half your honor in your hand..and not a mans proud honor that he pees with

Lost forever in the depths of the sea are many daggers and swords from an earlier period..which the craftsmen have created a failsafe so these Steel beauties are kept safee where they belong.

take notice to all Kriegsmarine daggers and swords..they have some type of mechanism that holds them securely. No other TR or Prewar Edged type that i know of other than Naval has this. Good Job Luke Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Like to see any other ACS (Alcoso) pieces to compare... also any other examples that have a orange or yellow toned grip like this as I cant find any others on line! Best, Kevin.

Nice piece Kevin! If I remember correctly..The grip material was called "Trolon" a Celluloid form of plastic.This material is commonly seen on Heer,Second pattern Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine Daggers.Often over a wooden base.Due to the chemical makeup of the material, exposure to UV / sunlight etc. and other conditions caused color changes anywhere from yellows,oranges,burgundy,and even mottled combinations of all of these. I believe initially there were three main colors,white black and yellow.

Over the years dealers have used this to their advantage by offering pieces with a "Rare" grip color to increase profits.What started out as yellow became the "Very Rare Pumpkin Grip" and so on... I believe your grip started life as a white or ivory colored grip and toned to the color it is now,but I cannot say that with complete certainty.I have seen some with a pale yellow that has darkened to an egg yolk color on one side (perhaps from hanging on a wall with one side exposed too the light). I could not confirm that those grips were originally white.

Another interesting feature of this sword are the different colored eyes (one red, and one green) This is representative of the colors of maritime lighting, Red for "Port" the left side of a ship,and Green for the "Starboard"right side.These colors are used to identify which direction a ship is travelling at night. If you will notice the Lions eyes, the "Port"eye is red and the starboard eye is green! I have always loved the look of the naval sword in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful of the German swords
    Congratulations on a really nice piece! Regards, Geoff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2