Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Repaint heer sword scabbard ?

Article about: Hello I have found a scabbard for a heer sword, but the previous owner had very badly repainted it and after cleaning and removing the recent painting, only 15-20% of the black original pain

Default Repaint heer sword scabbard ?

Hello
    I have found a scabbard for a heer sword, but the previous owner had very badly repainted it and after cleaning and removing the recent painting, only 15-20% of the black original paint was always present under the recent painting ; In your opinion, i keep it as is, or i repaint it.
    If i repaint it, what finish? Mat, satin or brillant black?
    Thanks for your advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Repaint heer sword scabbard ?
    P
    Many

It really depends on the overall condition of the scabbard. If it is dented or the metalwork is pitted the repaint will only make these faults stand out even more. You might be best just to keep what is left of the original finish. But really it is down to personal choice. I obviously don't know if you purchased the scabbard to house a sword you may have. But generally, when you restore a scabbard to like new condition the sword will probably end up looking in a poorer condition than it probably is.

Definitely not.
    You have a part of history, keep him as he is.

Regards
    Vedran

If you've found some original paint, id be tempted to leave.
    What condition is the sword in because if its rough the last thing you want is to pair it with a mint painted scabbard.
    matty

?

Leave it be, it is what it is, but it is still original.
    Regards,
    John

Definitely 100% leave it.

matty

?

Still nice to many people... don't paint it

Hi, Do you have a sword to use the scabbard with? I have a few German swords and am always on the hunt for spare scabbards and when they turn up, if they are in particularly poor condition, I will considder filling, repair and repaint etc. but not as a general rule. Usually, i clean the scabbard by removing any rust and flaking, give it a thorough wipe over with white spirit then give it several coats of black boot polish. I find that this inhbits further rusting and deterioration and finger marks are easily wiped awaay. Also. unlike paint, varnish, oil and grease, the boot polish does not contaminate the scabbard linings and is easily removed if required. I use this method on both painted, leather and steel scabbards, unplated steel blades and helmets etc. as well as wood and black plastic grips. This method of cleaning may not suit all collectors, but it works for me!! I hope that this is of interest to you?
    Cheers Michael Ryan