Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS sword, original?

Article about: A sword I'm considering, everything else looks fine it's the runes that have me a little iffy. Thanks

Default SS sword, original?

A sword I'm considering, everything else looks fine it's the runes that have me a little iffy.
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS sword, original?   SS sword, original?  

SS sword, original?   SS sword, original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS sword, original?
    P
    Many

Quote by NSKKsturmann View Post
    A sword I'm considering, everything else looks fine it's the runes that have me a little iffy.
    Thanks
    In agreement, I don't know if it's in hand or it's photos that were sent for inspection. That said, I expanded the largest image to get a closer look and it doesn't give me a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling. Something that I think could be a problem down the road if it's upgraded and sold or traded. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS sword, original?  

I have to say that I don't care for it. The hilt and the guard are very porous and grainy in appearance-something I would not expect to see in an F.W. Holler piece. The leather washer looks to be brand new and the scabbard, if it's original, looks to have a repaint on it. It is not a sword I would want to put money in to. Personally, I think the entire thing is a repro. I'm frankly surprised at Wittmann offering this. $2,195.00? No thanks...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I would think an original SS sword would cost plenty. What would be a good estimate in U.S. dollars?

2 other examples obtained from Tom Wittmans site show slight variances with the inset runes of unknown producers.

SS sword, original? SS sword, original?

and the Holler example

SS sword, original?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I see no issues with the inset runes between the unknown producer and the Holler example,..except that the Holler example is a little more scratched up .

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's a few more photos since some concerns about the scabbard and blade were expressed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS sword, original?   SS sword, original?  

SS sword, original?  

except for the kultruzeichen missing on the scabbard throat, i see nothing wrong with that NCO SS sword