Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich

Article about: Hi All, I have looked at some pretty comprehensive and very interesting collections on the forum but seen little or nothing on German swords. So I thought that I would try and redress the ba

Sword 23 (189) The Trade Mark on the blade of this sword is a King's Head in cojunction witha Knight's Helmet over WKC on the obverse side of blade rather than the more usual reverse. Although a quite common pattern sword, it has a very elegant blade with fine etching. Contrary to what it says in the introduction paragraph, this pre TR period!!

a. Hilt. Cast brass with backstrap attached using a pair of brass rivets. The grip is of wood with a shagreen covering and a brass wire wrap.
    b. Obverse Langet. Plain.
    c. Reverse langet. Plain.
    d. Pommel. Plain dove head.
    e. Blade. Polished steel with single fullers and unatributed etching.
    f. Scabbard. Standard black steel with single ring suspension fitting and a suspension loop to the reverse side of the scabbard.
    g. Rarety. Quite rare with an etched blade.

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 09-02-2014 at 05:24 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich
    P
    Many

Sword 24 (188) The Trade Mark on the blade of this sword is a Knight's Helmet over WKC on the obverse side of blade rather than the more usual reverse. Unlike the vast majority of TR Army swords, this particular pattern bears niether a National emblem nor an arm of service device ergo, it may be a Weimar period item??

a. Hilt. Cast brass with backstrap attached using a pair of brass rivets. The grip is of wood with a plastic covering and a brass wire wrap. The leather attachment between the ferrule and the upper surface of the cross guard is what remains of the fore finger loop. The loop was designed in order to render the sword more manageable when carried out of its scabbard. When damaged like this, the broken ends are cut away leaving only what appears to be a double washer. I have heard of these parts being referred to as "spacers" for loose hilts which they are not.
    b. Obverse Langet. A vertical wreath of laurel signifying victory within an outlined shield.
    c. Reverse langet. A stylised shield encompassed within a laurel wreath. The whole within an outlined shield..
    d. Pommel. Dove head in the form of an elongated oval button.
    e. Blade. Plated steel with single fullers.
    f. Scabbard. Standard black steel with single ring suspension fitting and a suspension loop to the reverse side of the scabbard.
    g. Rarety. Quite scarce.

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich

Hi, A minor change in direction, moving from WKC swords to another renouned manufacturur, Carl Eickhorne. Thid batch comprises German Army swords both of pre and post 1933 production. I hope that you find them of interest.

Regards Michael Ryan

Sword 25 (157) The trade mark on the blade of this swordi is a pair of conjoined squirrels over the initials "CE". This sword has the weight, balance, look and general feel of a fighting rather than a dress weapon.

a. Hilt. Cast in steel with no evidence of gilding and the backstrap attached directly to the blade tang. The grip is of wood with black plastic covering and a steel wire wrap.
    b. Obverse Langet. Crossed connon within a stylised floral wreath on a plain outlined shield.
    d. Pommel. Lion head.
    e. Blade. Plain, plated with single full size fullers.
    f. Scabbard. Standard natural steel scabbard with a single brass ring suspension fitting and loop to the reverse side of the scabbard. There is evidence that this scabbard has been painted black but not professionally. I would suggest by the original owner for field use?
    g. Rarety. Quite scarce.

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 09-02-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Sword 26 (190) The trade mark on the blade of this swordi is a single squirrel holding a sword over "Eickhorn Solingen".

a. Hilt. Gilded cast alloy with riveted backstrap. The grip is of wood with black plastic covering and a silver alloy wire wrap.
    b. Obverse Langet. Crossed sabres superimposed over a wreath of oak on a plain outlined shield.
    c. Reverse langet. Vertical oval escutchion on a plain outlined shield.
    d. Pommel. Patterned dove head incorporating a wreath of oak encompassing a Wehrmacht Adler (Military National Eagle).
    e. Blade. Plain, polished steel with single full size fullers.
    f. Scabbard. Standard black steel scabbard with a single ring suspension fitting and loop to the reverse side of the scabbard.
    g. Rarety. Rare.

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 09-02-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Sword 27 (136) The trade mark on the blade of this sword is a pair of conjoined squirrels over the initials "CE". This sword has the weight, balance, look and general feel of a fighting rather than a dress weapon.

a. Hilt. Nickel plated steel with mock riveted backstrap. The backstrap is attached directly to the tang of the blade. The grip is of wood with black plastic covering and a brass wire wrap.
    b. Obverse Langet. Plain.
    d. Pommel. Pain dove head.
    e. Blade. Etched and attributable to "Feldart. Regt. No59". Plated steel with single full size fullers.
    f. Scabbard. Standard black steel scabbard with a fixed single ring suspension fitting and loop to the reverse side of the scabbard.
    g. Rarety. Quite scarce.

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 09-02-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Sword 27 Continued. Blade ething details with the hilt to the right of each picture.

Obverse:

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich

Reverse:

Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third ReichSwords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich

Just said "yes" to this one.
    The blade is sadly cut off, but part of his history.
    Picture is sellers pic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swords, Sabres and Imperial during the Third Reich  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Kris, It is a fine looking sword and one which I would be happy to own!!!!! The blade!! Ah well, I'd rather have it with a cut blade than not have it at all. I like it and would be very happy to purchase it!!!!!!!
    Nice one!! Regards Michael R

Hey Michael, glad you like it.
    Sorry to say; but it is a other one I am meaning to keep. ...
    I just had the same reaction as you when seeing it...
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Fred, I absolutely agree with all you have said. However I must try and correct one minor error which I beleive you have made. I would suggest that the P guard swords are the evelutions of the P1796 British cavalry sabre and that the Prussian M1811 Bluchersabel is such an evelution?? Our French friends were very upset with us Brits as they considdered the 1796 as an inhu
    man weapon because of the scale of wounds the blade inflicted on their troops. I have a rather poor 1796 and even as a very obsolete weapon over 200years old, I would not like to be on the receiving end of that fearsome blade!! Post some of your photos and if they are as bad as you say, we can have a laugh as well as an insight into your collection!!
    Cheers once again Michael R
    Hello Michael, You were correct (post # 127), and I finally found a German reference that stated that thousands of the British M 1796 sabers were supplied to Prussia, with the sword being given formal - informal (uncertain) designation of the Prussian cavalry saber M 1808. Best Regards, Fred

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast