Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Article about: Cheers Larry!!!!! Regards Michael R

Now, back to reality. I traded this Imperial German Infatry officer's sword from one of our Furum members and it was in relatively poor condition. After collecting swords for longer than I care to remember, this is the first ond only sword of this type that I have ever come across. It is, in my opinion, 100% original and had not been played with in any way until I got my sticky little fingers on it and decided to try and refurbish it. To all intents and purposes, the sword was a wreck so I make no apologies for tampering as it was done in good faith to try and bring the weapon back to life. I have only replaced two items, those being the grip brass wrap and the cut off blade. If you have seen a similar sword either advetised or owned, I would be most grateful for any information which you may be able to supply or opinion which you may have.

As Found

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference
    P
    Many

Post Tidy Up

?

Well Michael that was a nice project, and i agree this one would fit a project without doing history any harm!
    You succeeded very well!

Ger

Magic well done Michael
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Ger, Many thanks for your comments. Like you, I suspect, I prefer to leave items with historic value alone. That said, given the state of this sword, I reasoned that it was unlikely that I could make it any worse and had the potential to possibly, bring it back to life. I am happy with it and it will go into my collection as, at least to me, a valued piece of "restored" history. I have never come across a lion head Prussian 89 pattern Infantry sword before so if you have any information that may help to identify it, please let me know!!

Nice hearing from you again and best wishes to Petra!!

Cheers Michael.

Hi Larry, Thank you!!! A labour of love for me!!
    Cheers Michael

Hi, Like the sword detailed above, this item arrived in a very tired state without scabbard and with broken brass grip wrap. I believe this to be a rare variation on the standard cavalry sabre in that it has an 1889 infantry double fuller straight sword blade rather than the curved single fuller sabre blade?? There is no evidence of the hilt being dismantled and I believe that the sword is exactly as it was when initially purchased?

a. Hilt. Cast in brass and the hilt is secured directly to the blade tang. The grip is of wood with a black finish and brass wire wrap.
    b. Obverse Langet. A small foral display surmounting a vertical oval encompassing a pair of crossed sabres.
    c. Reverse langet. Identical to the obverse langet but encompassing a shield rather than sabres.
    d. Pommel. A lion head without its lower jaw.
    e. Blade. Single edged polished steel with double fullers. The infantry pattern straight blade was manufactured by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie of Solingen and bears the trade marks of a Knight's Helm and a King's Head over the initials "WKC"
    f. Scabbard. Natural steel with a mobile suspension ring and a reverse regaining bar.

Your comments are very welcome.

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi, Like the sword detailed above, this item arrived in a very tired state without scabbard and with broken brass grip wrap. I believe this to be a rare variation on the standard cavalry sabre in that it has an 1889 infantry double fuller straight sword blade rather than the curved single fuller sabre blade?? There is no evidence of the hilt being dismantled and I believe that the sword is exactly as it was when initially purchased?

a. Hilt. Cast in brass and the hilt is secured directly to the blade tang. The grip is of wood with a black finish and brass wire wrap.
    b. Obverse Langet. A small foral display surmounting a vertical oval encompassing a pair of crossed sabres.
    c. Reverse langet. Identical to the obverse langet but encompassing a shield rather than sabres.
    d. Pommel. A lion head without its lower jaw.
    e. Blade. Single edged polished steel with double fullers. The infantry pattern straight blade was manufactured by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie of Solingen and bears the trade marks of a Knight's Helm and a King's Head over the initials "WKC"
    f. Scabbard. Natural steel with a mobile suspension ring and a reverse regaining bar.

Your comments are very welcome.
    Not one that offhand I recall seeing before. This one presented an interesting challenge with the swords for some Infantry Officers having the straight multi-fluted blade like the IOD89, but with a plain "P" style hilt labeled as Füsilier-Montur. That didn't quite work out so back to square one - which is that regulations specified different models of swords that were specific to that branch of service. But that Officers could purchase their own version of same or a non-regulation type. And the regulation cavalry sword was a version of the basket hilted M1852/79 which is a good serviceable sword to be carried in the field. But the "P" guard type is less obtrusive for day to day wear in non-combat use. As I was thinking about it a little more, one of the things that occurred to me is the fact that the Kürassier Officer's sword also has a straight multi-fluted blade with the attached photo showing the M1819 Kürassier sword next to the Officer's version. Still needing some facts I don't have a copy of the period WKC catalog, which is the next thing that I think could help. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference  

Hi Fred Thank you for your most welcome input!! Yes, had the obverse langet featured crossed rifles or foliage or flags etc. then it could well be considered infantry but with crossed sabres, it must be cavalry I would have thought? Another of lifes little conundrums. Rare, who knows, but niether it nor the lion head above styles have crossed my path before?????????????????????????????????????

Sorry for my much delayed response.

Cheers Michael

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Fred Thank you for your most welcome input!! Yes, had the obverse langet featured crossed rifles or foliage or flags etc. then it could well be considered infantry but with crossed sabres, it must be cavalry I would have thought? Another of lifes little conundrums. Rare, who knows, but niether it nor the lion head above styles have crossed my path before?????????????????????????????????????

Sorry for my much delayed response.

Cheers Michael
    Michael, It's confusing YES - but I'm afraid that it does not really get much better the longer you look at it. With, depending on the individual state, the Germans adopting some basic patterns that were not necessarily consistent with the largest state Prussia. And a bewildering series of private purchase swords that sometimes followed those of the particular state in question. Or perhaps not. Period catalogs a significant help as a reference point, but if the item falls outside the scope of items that are included?? So collectors are then forced to try and make a best guess while still collecting more information, which is where I'm at this moment as I think about the possibilities. Best Regards, Fred

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast