Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

"W" Maker... who is it?

Article about: I have several Napoleonic era swords marked with a "W" but have not been able to determine the maker. Can someone help? Here are a couple of examples. One is marked on the ricasso

pjm
    ?

Default "W" Maker... who is it?

I have several Napoleonic era swords marked with a "W" but have not been able to determine the maker. Can someone help?

Here are a couple of examples. One is marked on the ricasso and the other on the spine.

"W" Maker... who is it?"W" Maker... who is it?"W" Maker... who is it?"W" Maker... who is it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "W" Maker... who is it?
    P
    Many

Very nice period swords. Could the 'W' on the spine
    be for Wilhelm - much like WWI bayonets
    are marked.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice Kaiser Wilhelm marked spine and blade, i think your spot on Steve!

Early period swords were and still are an active area of interest for me, so most respectfully I'm going to have to agree with pjm that it's more likely a Napoleonic era sword marking. With my best guess being that an early branch of the Weyersberg family might be the maker(?). During that period and earlier Solingen making swords not just for the local area, but also other German states and countries (and very likely even France for a time while it was occupied by them). With fire blued and gilt blades over hand engraved decorations typical of that period, being replaced by blade etching in the early 19th century. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "W" Maker... who is it?