Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

What Kind of sword is this? Yea I know its German WWII.

Article about: That is what I would expect to see as well. With the marking underneath the langet with an orientation that permits the logo being able to be read holding the sword with the point up instead

Default Re: What Kind of sword is this? Yea I know its German WWII.

Gents thanks for all the info. Im not trying to p/o anybody. Just trying to figure it out. This probably is a post war massaging of the true sword. However I cant see where any name was ground or buffed out. I make knives from time to time but cant see where this one is polished or buffed enough to remove markings under the langet. There is some disparity in the stamping thats for sure.

Damn you guys are knowledgable.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What Kind of sword is this?   Yea I know its German WWII.
    P
    Many

Nobody's PO'd. This is a great discussion and i'm happy Fred got in here. Fred's one of the most knowledgeable saber collectors who frequents the forums. These forums are a wonderful resource as an immediate medium of communication, to exchange ideas, data, and information which would otherwise be nearly impossible.....or at least take a very long time to disceminate.

This has been a very enjoyeable thread and I hope we continue to further the discourse so we can reach some sort of a conclusion on this piece, since it's definitely an odd bird. These sorts of threads really remind us to keep searching and always to consider thinking outside of the sandbox....or at least the kittylitter box .

Thanks

You know what I did notice was that the name and sigrunes may be canted but they are in line (tip to tip and the I on Soligen and align with the same point at the top of Herm,) with the other police sword. Even the great weapons makers such as Colt, Smith & Wesson, Walther, Mauser, and others from time to time get markings slightly off. Thats what gives them character.

Here is a different sword with what appear to be the same stampings and problems. Deep to shallow.

Tom, I’ll trade you the copper date for the aluminum one (the actual credit for it belongs to some others). And when it comes to Army sabers “you da man !!!" My interests are too scattered.

Individual stampings with a standard Army saber - no. For an otherwise identical one with the Sigrunes cast on the langet of the other side (and some other features) - yes. Anything else is on a case by case basis - and there a ton of fakes out there.

As for SS marks in general that’s a fairly involved topic. And I just got back from dinner and have a few other things to do before tomorrow, Best Regards to All, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images What Kind of sword is this?   Yea I know its German WWII. 

The same idea as yours, but using grayscale.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What Kind of sword is this?   Yea I know its German WWII.  

Fred,

I'll be glad to send you the copy. I need to dig it up. Another collector and I were having the strategic metal as it relates to aluminum controls just recently. I'll fire it off to your email once I dig it up.

Tom

You think the handle is brass or gilt over brass that has tarnished? There is a small spot on the bottom of the guard that appears to be gilt. Should I try to polish a small sector of it?

The hilt assembly appears to be brass. It was gilted with gold coloring at one time, and traces of that gilting are still intact. Never attempt to pollish it.

If you want to brighten up the existing gilt, as well as the bare brass, as well as to remove dirt, use a soft toothbrush and sudsy amonia. Homemade or store bought. Be sure though to remove the sudsy prior to applying museum wax, etc. Also- critical point: keep the moisture away from the black celluloid grip because it encases a wooden grip core, which if exposed to moisture inadvertantly will cause swelling and shrinking, which in turn will cause the black celluloid grip to crack.

More often than not, I utilize a homemade sudy concoction to clean and brighten hilts on sabers I acquire, prior to application of a museum wax for preservation purposes. Never use Semichrome, Brasso, or any other pollishing agent because they all contain some degree of abrassives.

NC- if you need a sudsy amonia recipe, let me know and i'll either post it or PM it to you. If others are interested, let me know and i'llpost it.

Tom

Please Post

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast