Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WKC half-lionhead sabre

Article about: This TR period sabre by WKC is derived from an earlier traditional hilt design, their Model #20. As can be seen from the pictures it has an artillery motif to the reverse langet. I have not

Default WKC half-lionhead sabre

WKC half-lionhead sabreWKC half-lionhead sabreWKC half-lionhead sabreWKC half-lionhead sabreWKC half-lionhead sabreThis TR period sabre by WKC is derived from an earlier traditional hilt design, their Model #20. As can be seen from the pictures it has an artillery motif to the reverse langet. I have not found this particular design in WKC's TR period catalogues. Has anyone seen this model?

WKC half-lionhead sabreWKC half-lionhead sabre

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WKC half-lionhead sabre
    P
    Many

the eagle and swastika appear to be a separate item,never seen that before.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    the eagle and swastika appear to be a separate item,never seen that before.
    Possibly an Imperial item updated for wear during WW II.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The TR insignia is pinned through the obverse langet. I have also seen this feature on other WKC models, but eagle/ swastika emblem in silver in silver finish. See attached scan from Tom Johnson's "German Swords of WWII", page 179.WKC half-lionhead sabre

?

I will have a look in my database when im home tonight, will let you know the result
    I like the sword, pristine condition!

Groet
    Ger

yes it is a lovely sword.

Hi, You have a very attractive and unusual sabre, one which I would be happy to have in my collection!!! The "jawless" lion head pommel is a common feature on Imperial swords but not TR swords. I too jumped to the conclusion that the hilt was an Imperial upgraded for TR wear. However, I have taken a second look and have changed my mind. Yes, the back strap and pommel may well be imperial but the guard and langets are TR or replacements. Why?? The reverse langet is in the form of an obverse Artillery langet whilst the obverse langet is in the style of a plain reverse Imperial langet but with the addition of a WH Eagle. Ergo, if this is an upgrade for TR wear then the Artillery motif was designed to be worn outside/in, if the sword is worn on the left hip, most unlkely?? Possibly, the whole guard was replaced with the eagle positioned correctly but with the owner having the Artillary insignia included on the reverse langet as a form of commemoration??? A third, if unlikely suggestion is that the whole sword is Imperial, that the Eagle was attached on the reverse langet and that the original sword was for wear by a left handed officer on the right hip, again, very unlikely?? The scabbard appears to be of typical TR design for wear on the left hip. My personal opinion is that the sword is TR and possibly carried by an Artllery officer, perhaps a former Imperial officer who wished to amalgamate both the TR insignia and the the Artillary insignia and in so doing has created a very unusual and none standard item???????????????????????????????????