Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Would Eickhorn really make a sword this ugly?

Article about: Dovehead sword here with what looks like a terrible fake Eickhorn engraving. I don't know, it looks pretty bad to me. What do you all think?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Swords are a different puppy as compared to daggers etc.
    That is what I like about them! Less regulations; the rebel theme in TR memorabilia! ;-)
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would Eickhorn really make a sword this ugly?
    P
    Many

?

Hello All,

I know we joked a little about the acorns on the cross guard of the Eickhorn Sword that Naptime Pictured. It bugged me as over time I knew I had seen it somewhere on a similar sword. See photos & link below to JR's site at Meda Militaria as he has a Field Marshall Roon Pattern Sword which has the Acorns as Naptime's sword that was shown. I will say JR's Example seems to be done a little more eloquently or has better craftsmanship. Still the one posted looks doctored and off to me and certainly not Eickhorn period work.

Eickhorn Field Marshall Series, Roon Pattern - D182
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Would Eickhorn really make a sword this ugly?   Would Eickhorn really make a sword this ugly?  

Last edited by Rossi; 12-31-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Good eye, Rossi. The one I posted is not my sword. It looked suspicious to me and someone offered it to me for $500. I have never paid that much for a dove head sword and certainly wasn't going to for this questionable example. I was curious though whether anyone had seen such crude craftsmanship on what appears to be a period TR sabre. Thank you!

?

Imo it's ok, never saw an eagle like that, but could be a scarce model or a rarely used option eagle for the original chosen by the original buyer.
    Neil

Agreed Neil, This certainly reminds me of the Field Marshal sword series. There were original's that were hand engraved the Roon comes to mind. That is an early political type eagle. Not everything is in the books.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2