Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepee

Article about: After seeing Rossi's beautiful blade, I pulled out mine that has been sitting on a shelf for many many years. I'm not a dagger guy and bought this early in my collecting career. The dealer I

MAP
    ?

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepee

After seeing Rossi's beautiful blade, I pulled out mine that has been sitting on a shelf for many many years.

I'm not a dagger guy and bought this early in my collecting career. The dealer I bought this from was good with equipment and helmets but many of the badges I bought from him turned out to be fake. As such I've always worried about this blade.

It is snowing lightly here so these were the best snaps I could take today. The blade is in good condition but not excellent (has some minor stains and such which the pictures make look worse than the naked eye). The scabbard has the obligatory door dents.

A few questions/comments. Besides if it is an outright fake....

1) Is the gold portapee correct? Or should it be silver?
    2) What year is the logo from? Is it prior to the more simplified version (I looked at GermanDaggers but no dates were given - Maker Marks)
    3) The scabbard appears to have a small etching on it. Not sure if this was for insurance purposes or from the original owner...("Kolb", and "N3979/36") Any thoughts?

Any and all comments welcome...

Michael

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepee
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger personalized with portepee
    P
    Many

Hello Michael,
    It looks okay to me.
    The engraving appears to me to be Rolb. The knot is correct and appears to be tied in the proper fashion.
    Can't help with the maker's mark, others will know that more than I.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Michael,
    It looks okay to me.
    The engraving appears to me to be Rolb. The knot is correct and appears to be tied in the proper fashion.
    Can't help with the maker's mark, others will know that more than I.
    Ralph.
    Yes, it does appear to be Rolb but it is Kolb with a loop at the top of the "K" but it does not connect to make a circle.

Not sure what the difference is between the gold and silver portapee. Again, these are not my forte.

Thanks for the feedback.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Michael, your dagger is completely original. And in great shape too. The portepee is a good one too. It's the later type that age to a beautiful golden color. Earlier types are made of aluminum or silver threads. The aluminum type doesn't show much patina but the earliest types can get really dark. The trademark on your dagger was used prior to the simple 'over the shoulder' version and after the first double oval trademark.
    Thanks for showing this beatiful piece

Danny

MAP
    ?

Quote by dr73 View Post
    Hi Michael, your dagger is completely original. And in great shape too. The portepee is a good one too. It's the later type that age to a beautiful golden color. Earlier types are made of aluminum or silver threads. The aluminum type doesn't show much patina but the earliest types can get really dark. The trademark on your dagger was used prior to the simple 'over the shoulder' version and after the first double oval trademark.
    Thanks for showing this beatiful piece

Danny
    Thanks for the thumbs up and the great info....not to figure out the etching. I think it is for an insurance policy but not sure..

Regards

Michael

Michael, the Squirrel in this mark was used for a number of years-between 1936-41. In 42, he turned to look back over his shoulder and lost his frizz and began a new rounded appearance. I also believe that the engraving is from an insurance purpose. The oldtimers had the annoying habit of doing this to Everything they owned...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Michael, the Squirrel in this mark was used for a number of years-between 1936-41. In 42, he turned to look back over his shoulder and lost his frizz and began a new rounded appearance. I also believe that the engraving is from an insurance purpose. The oldtimers had the annoying habit of doing this to Everything they owned...
    Thx!!! I know, it is quite annoying but in least in this case it is hardly noticeable .

?

William...Second that. My Opa would put his SS #, Drivers License & Oma's measures on hammers, batteries, anything metal and guns in the 1970s. Just to keeps my Dad and others from taking his tools. Really Gramps? He also had a stamp he would tamp and pound into everything with his initials JFR. Today they would take your identity and throw the tools out. Thank goodness he did not engrave them into his war booty.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Yeah Buddy!!! Nice and thanks for posting. Very beautiful and in great shape. Hoping more folks will post theirs in the Kriegs Subforum that Larry and Ade started. Might I add that Danny Dr73 (Kriegasaurus) of Naval Dagger History knows his details and is a major resource on these fine pieces of history.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Yeah Buddy!!! Nice and thanks for posting. Very beautiful and in great shape. Hoping more folks will post theirs in the Kriegs Subforum that Larry and Ade started. Might I add that Danny Dr73 (Kriegasaurus) of Naval Dagger History knows his details and is a major resource on these fine pieces of history.
    Thanks Rossi. Will also check out the thread and post it there as well

And Thanks Danny, William and Ralph as well!