Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepee

Article about: Hello guys! Can someone please help me with some input on this navy dagger? Is it early, late? What year? Are all parts matching like they should? Also, I´m wondering: Does an early KM dagge

Default Kriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepee

Hello guys!

Can someone please help me with some input on this navy dagger?
    Is it early, late? What year?
    Are all parts matching like they should?

Also, I´m wondering: Does an early KM dagger have better quality than the later ones?

I know, I know. I must get the Wittman books. They are one their way.

With hopes of good informative answers.

Regards
    MrMiler

Kriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepeeKriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepeeKriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepeeKriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepeeKriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepee
    P
    Many

?

You would have to look long and hard to find a better navy dagger than this one. It's completely textbook and in great shape. The orange grip makes it even more special. When you look at the trademark you can tell this is an early TR piece. Here's an Alcoso with a late trademark. As to quality, unlike other types like army daggers, the quality of navy daggers was still very good in the later period.

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepee   Kriegsmarine 1st model Alcoso etched dagger with m38 pommel orange grip and portepee  

As said above, your Alcoso is certainly genuine and a good earlier piece. It has the premium hammered sheath as well. Alcoso made some superbly worked daggers and about the only niggle that I can find with this one, is that it's original gilding has pretty much vanished with the years, but this is normal to see and not hugely detracting from it's value. It is also missing it's red felt buffer, but this is negligible. The burnt orange grip is especially nice and the ship etch on the blade is always nice to see. You could go a long ways and not find another KM as nice as this one.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. One day I hope to be educated enough to contribute on the forum myself. Have a good day

Regards,
    MrMiler.

?

I agree with others. Great dagger. Congrats.
    Best,
    Oleg.

?

What a great dagger!!
    As said above, textbook with that desirable colored grip, i wouldnt mind being the caretaker of this beauty for a while
    Alcoso has made some of the best TR edged weapons, this KM dagger is one of them.

Ger

Quote by MrMiler View Post
    One day I hope to be educated enough to contribute on the forum myself. Have a good day Regards, MrMiler.
    Creating and sharing in this thread....You Just did... Thank YOU ...Mr Miller

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Great looking dagger MrMiler, this one dates 38-39, late in the period some navy daggers did use parts made of steel and pot metal but when they loose there gilding they don't look anywhere as nice as the all brass ones. Love the orange grip, Alcoso were the only ones as far as I know to use the 8 segment grip (The retailer Adolf Braun used them as well but there navy daggers were constructed of all parts supplied by Alcoso) as well as the 7. Thanks for showing.

Wagriff the red buffer pad is in place.

Could any of you guys give an estimate as to how rare a orange grip is compared to a standard white grip? Is it like 3 of every 10 or what?
    I know it´s impossible to give an exact answer to this, but what does your gut-feeling say?

?

Of course this ist just an estimation but judging by what I have seen over the years I would say that for every orange grip navy 25 white gripped navies were made. But again, that's just a gut-feeling.

Interesting is that I've seen a publication from a factory order in which orange gripped navies were ordered. So unlike army grips not all navy grips started out white.

Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast