Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.

Article about: Hi Guys, this is my final KM dagger to show you all. Even though it is damaged I still love it becuase it was given to me by a late friend of mine, Sgt Mike Compton. Mike was a British Para

Default Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.

Hi Guys, this is my final KM dagger to show you all.

Even though it is damaged I still love it becuase it was given to me by a late friend of mine, Sgt Mike Compton. Mike was a British Para and he fought in Italy, the South of France and Greece. I went over to the South of France three times with Mike to see where he fought. Mike (real name Hans) was born in Germany and escaped to the UK before the war. After being interned as a enemy alien, he was finally allowed to join the Pioneer Corps, then the Parachute Regt where his language skills where finally put to good use as a "Pathfinder".

Mike took the dagger in Southern Italy. He blamed the broken crossguard and eagle on his sons playing with it post war. These later zinc based fittings are very brittle and easily damaged. Still they never damaged the blade which is almost mint. The maker is Horster.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.   Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.  

Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.   Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.  

Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.   Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.

lovely story ade , and a very nice personal piece of history !

cheers al

Adrian , dagger with history is better whom dagger without history!!

the zinc is very bad metal

Pierre

Hi Adrian

As you know this is my E&F Hörster, you've seen it a couple of times before. But it's crossguard and pommel are also heavily damaged. They seem to have split from the inside out. Perhaps due to weak construction? I'll see if I can take some pictures of the damage later on the day...

Greetz

Nick VR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.  

Hi Guys, thanks! Mike also brought home a nice pre RZM SA dagger and a Police dress bayonet which one of his sons now has. Mike once told me he had a kit bag full of "loot" but he traded it off to the "Yanks".

Hi Nick, I think these daggers are known for the poor materials used in the fittings. I would be interested to see yours close up too once you get chance to do some pics.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Adrian

As promised here are the pictures:

Greetz

Nick VR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.   Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.  

Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.  

Thanks Nick. The damage is indeed very similar.

I will be seeing one of Mike's sons next month so I will tell him perhaps he is not to blame after all

Cheers, Ade.

?

ade , ive been wanting a police bayonet for ages they are fantastic in design , love em , but back to your dagger - it just shows you how good that steel is when you look at the condition of the blade , and the etching is still spot on , amazing

cheers al

?

kids can make a mess, we were about 7 when we let the dog have a tug of war with a mint Luft. officers hat

Hi Adrian

But still if they hadn't played with it...

Have you considered buying a new crossguard for it?

Greetz

Nick VR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast