Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 1st model WKC etched dagger with m38 pommel portepee and orange grip

Article about: What do you guys think about this one,it has no release button. Regards

?

Hard to tell by the pictures but it does appear that the grip is facing backwards so the dagger was probably turned around so that the replacement pommel was facing the correct way when in the scabbard, so it could be possible that the portapee is hiding the release button. It may also be because there is no buffer pad under the bottom edges of the blade aswell though. There does not look like there's much room for the thick buffer pad and the lip of the scabbard to fit between the locking mechanism so does it lock properly when in place. If there's no release button I wouldn't worry about that, Wittmann shows a couple of these in his navy book.
    Last edited by Tomaz; 08-19-2015 at 12:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 1st model WKC etched dagger with m38 pommel portepee and orange grip
    P
    Many

?

Tomaz, do you mean there are daggers in that book with a mechanism like the WKC shown here and also without release button? I have the Wittmann navy book too and I've been going through it but I must have overlooked these specific daggers. Could you tell me on which pages they are? Would save me a lot of time if I knew on which page to look

Tomaz...let us know what page and I will post only one photo from his reference. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Exploring the dress daggers of the German navy (vol 3), page 212 Eickhorn and page 229 WKC, both show this locking mechanism and no release button and the descriptions also describe there being no release button.
    On page 204 the November 1933 Eickhorn catalogue shows their number 10 which also has this same set up of no release button but with blade locking mechanism.
    Last edited by Tomaz; 08-20-2015 at 03:47 PM.

?

Thanks Thomaz. I've found it. I must admit I've never seen one in hand. The one Ivan shows is the first "live" one for me. Still I think it's not very "German" to produce a dagger like this. You could easily damage the dagger if you pulled it too hard if it was jammed by the locking mechanism. I'm glad I don't have a navy dagger with this specific combination. I would be afraid to pull it out of the scabbard if it did

?

I agree Danny its a bad design error to eliminate the button and I doubt it would have saved much brass, it might function ok once its worn but the dagger could be wrecked before then.
    Stingray does your dagger release from the scabbard ok ?

Quote by Tomaz View Post
    I agree Danny its a bad design error to eliminate the button and I doubt it would have saved much brass, it might function ok once its worn but the dagger could be wrecked before then.
    Stingray does your dagger release from the scabbard ok ?

Yes,it release fine,that's why the leather pad is there.

Regards

?

Thanks, im guessing by your last post that the thick leather buffer pad is stopping it from clicking into the full locking position then, would that be right ? its a great looking dagger.

1 photo as promised..I had a hard time finding it also..and was under the impression that it looked like what danny had in post #5. I see the mechanism more clearly and is somewhat close i appearance if your not looking for it..and was the reason why I passed over it.
    Interesting.

Im curious Ivan if the insertion and pull out are difficult or easy since there is no button release to be seen on the crossguard. Regards Larry

Kriegsmarine 1st model WKC etched dagger with m38 pommel portepee and orange grip
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Is the thick leather on this one positioning the edge of the throat guide over the lock mechanism and holding it down and preventing it from popping up and clicking into place to lock?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast