Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection

Article about: Hello gents, As promised, I want to show you some of my new purchases and a few daggers remaining in my collection for many years. Danny here they go Start with Alcoso. Enjoy Sorge

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    An intact patina fan myself, these are some wonderful daggers to look at - Thanks for Sharing. Does anyone have any military purchase types they would like to share? Which from a personal perspective finding what the baseline for the government purchase types instructive as compared to the private purchase types. Best Regards, Fred
    Hi Fred, I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by this question. Are referring to certain daggers?

Danny

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection
    P
    Many

Not sure either...kind of went over my head .

Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

If not private then the only ones I can think of are navy property marked depot pieces, Ostsee, Nordsee and Hamburg marked navy daggers.
    Best Tomaz.

Quote by Tomaz View Post
    If not private then the only ones I can think of are navy property marked depot pieces, Ostsee, Nordsee and Hamburg marked navy daggers.
    Best Tomaz.
    Those are the ones I was thinking of, the naval blades purchased for government use. A traditional practice inherited from the Imperial era. I've always found it interesting to see what the 'baseline' (for lack of a better word) oftentimes harder to find military issue dress officer's model sidearm looked like as compared to the private purchase types, which varied by the branch of service (and/or in Imperial times the state). Best Regards, Fred

?

KM property marks are seen mainly on the early production, plain blades daggers and swords. Such cost-cutting seems understandable. Later during the war, it seems that they have stopped marking the blades but do not stopped buying plain blades daggers for officers as part of the uniform.
    This is only my observation.

Sorge

?

Today I want to show you a highly unique dagger. My guesses is Königlich Preußischen Marine Seebataillon dagger. Although Kaiserliche Marine is the main object of my interest, such a dagger I see for the first time. The blade is in bad condition but there is no signs of shortening.
    I will be very grateful for any suggestions, information, photos, etc.

Sorge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection   Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection  

Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection   Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection  

Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection   Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection  

Quote by Sorge View Post
    KM property marks are seen mainly on the early production, plain blades daggers and swords. Such cost-cutting seems understandable. Later during the war, it seems that they have stopped marking the blades but do not stopped buying plain blades daggers for officers as part of the uniform.
    This is only my observation.

Sorge
    For the dagger posted without really looking into it I'm inclined at the moment to go with Kaiserliche Marine for the time period, with the blade shape/form very similar to that of the British midshipman's dagger of that time period (also copying the British naval officer's saber). Along with the observation that the crest on dagger's guard seems to be from the Imperial era.

As for the TR era government issue naval daggers, like the swords, plain blades seem to be the government standard that was inherited from the Imperial era for Prussia (but not all of the states) with I think not cost as much of an issue versus quality. Especially in the Imperial era, where many government purchase officer's sidearm blades were of better quality/manufacturing standards than some of the private purchase examples that carried over into the TR era. With something that has puzzled me for a long time is an English language author's statement that the German Navy circa 1943 placed a large order for dress sidearms. Which is completely counterintuitive from own my personal perspective - because there is an identifiable cutoff point for the German Army, and a less precise one for the Luftwaffe. But for the German Navy - who knows(?) which is why I like to look at them in comparison to the other German military and private examples. Best Regards, Fred

PS: I doubt that any such order for dress sidearms would have been approved, thinking that Albert Speer would have "cut them off at the knees" for suggesting something like that (if the author had an actual basis for his statement). Best Regards, Fred

PS: Not that it has anything to do with daggers (or swords): There is a TR period reference to Officers and other ranks who could wear the dagger and/or sword carrying the same sidearm as ordinary enlisted men in carrying out specific duties such as landing parties (etc). With the attached photo being what I believe is a picture of a reasonably well armed landing party that is ready to be deployed. Along with a request that anyone who has the naval regulations/orders that govern the issue and carrying of sidearms available, would they please post them to add to the body of knowledge for collectors. Thank you in advance. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarrine 2nd model Klaas U-Boat etched dagger and WKC Eickhorn daggers collection  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4