Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Kriegsmarine Admirals Eickhorn damascus dagger - Need Authentication

Article about: A friend of mine owns this beautiful Damamcus Presentation Dagger belonging to Grand Admiral Erich Raeder, and after some convincing and promises of secrecy has given me permission to share

Chris-
    The sale of this fake dagger for what I am sure was multiple thousands of dollars is legal fraud. I am sure he still has time under Canadian law to file a claim against the seller. I would advise him to not go quietly off in to the night.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Admirals Eickhorn damascus dagger - Need Authentication
    P
    Many

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Chris-
    The sale of this fake dagger for what I am sure was multiple thousands of dollars is legal fraud. I am sure he still has time under Canadian law to file a claim against the seller. I would advise him to not go quietly off in to the night.
    Bob that all depends on how much he paid, the high class quality repro honour dagger that i showed a picture of in my reply was sold for 5000usd, and was described as repro.
    So if he paid lets say 4K then he will have a hard time proven that it was a scam, the seller can simply say that he told the buyer it was a repro...word against word...unfortunate that would be no case
    If he paid 20K or more it would have been bargain if it would be the real deal,.........but a scam in this case!
    So it all depends on what he paid for it, you just cant expect to get the real deal for a couple of Thousand usd....good repro daggers with damast blades are expensive too to produce...

Best
    Ger

Is there a worthless COA ..that would force the seller to take the dagger back? ...sometimes the crap COAs in this case are useful in returning of items deemed real..or unreal.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

CBH
    ?

I didn't get any back story on where it came from, He is more of an antique firearm collector, dealer so i'm not sure when or how he obtained it, probably part of a collection he's purchased when, I don't know. I'm sure it won't be happy news but he's pretty well off, so this won't make the kids go hungry.
    I wanted to add, that I believe the blade to be real damascus steel, but when I saw the close up of the back of the blade and noticed the small dent of missing steel it made me wonder if this would pass inspection as a presentation dagger. More likely the blade would be discarded and a new one made.
    And lastly I want to thank everyone for the replies, and note I was thankful of the very detailed and sympathetic tone. I feel I got let down very gently by our fine membership. I guess membership Does have it's Privileges. Thank you all.

PS could anyone provide a link to where these are being sold as reproductions? Thanks

Chris, While that really has to hurt, I'm somewhat relieved to hear that the purchaser is able to absorb the cost of purchasing this fake. Not everyone is that fortunate, and I've seen more than one guy either pull out or sharply scale back on what he was collecting. As you surmised the blade which I'm fairly certain myself is Damascus, but the quality is not that of a TR period presentation piece - and you picked up on an obvious flaw. Which is more than I can say about a couple of folks who were involved with (as I recall) a "Göring Industrial" supposedly presentation sword that had a number of bad welds some with pieces popping up, and a carelessly made handle. My point here being that (like you also surmised) if the Germans made quality ordinary carbon steel blades for the masses they were not going to turn out junk for ordinary presentation pieces - and especially not for a very high ranking officer.

As for a link for this type of specific fake I don't recall seeing one, but for the Damascus steel blade stock from the Indian subcontinent it's easy enough to find on the web at very competitive prices. And there may be a "dark web" that makers and dealers use to place orders but that's speculation, and if there is one I imagine that it's a closely guarded secret. Best Regards, Fred

?

Well look at this link
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...e-honor-dagger
    or here
    Kriegsmarine Honor Dagger- Post War ( Alcoso )
    and the one i mentioned in my reply earlier on was on icollector, so lots to be found with a little bit of google help
    I have made screenshots and posted the 2 below, just in case the links will not work in the future..

Best
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 06-26-2017 at 12:40 PM.

CBH
    ?

Thanks everyone for the help, I've E-mailed the owner but I haven't but I haven't heard back yet.

I'm sure he'll take it well, as well as can be expected.

CBH
    ?

I'm pleased to say the owner took the news well, he had suspected it might be fake, so didn't payed much when purchased as part of a larger group.

I want to thank everyone for the informative replies , your a great group !

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I do know that Atwood had a few made in the late 60's when some of the finest Damascus artists were still alive and working. I do not have enough knowledge to comment on this piece one way or the other.
    A Fantastic Dagger I would however not know good from bad !
    Karl Fortmann is a name associated with these fine items from the 1960's
    ,And Robert Kurtain, (Agent) Walter Nordmeier who was a gold wound badge holder with one arm and i believe a below the knee amputation.
    I feel sure Frederick Stephens covers this in his book from the period ..

CBH
    ?

I feel sure Frederick Stephens covers this in his book from the period ..[/QUOTE]

You or any other member wouldn't happen to have a copy of this book?

Again thanks everyone for the replies.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast