Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee

Article about: Your dagger probably manufactured before 1938, because it has earlier F.W.H. logo (with less dash on the thermometer). Additionally portepee as I could see, is not glued to the handle, which

Your dagger probably manufactured before 1938, because it has earlier F.W.H. logo (with less dash on the thermometer).
    Additionally portepee as I could see, is not glued to the handle, which is also a guideline that these early dagger.

Nordland

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee
    P
    Many

I thought this dagger was called Model 38, because it was presented in 37-38.

Yes, but a lot of daggers has been reworked.
    The old pommel has been removed, and set a new one - swastika type.
    Often such daggers received a new gold finish.

Nordland

Quote by Nordland14 View Post
    Your dagger probably manufactured before 1938, because it has earlier F.W.H. logo (with less dash on the thermometer).
    Additionally portepee as I could see, is not glued to the handle, which is also a guideline that these early dagger.

Nordland
    I don't think you are right. The 1st Höller Makers Mark is not the one seen on this dagger. I don't know if this mark is the 2nd or 3rd of the Höllers Mark (I think the 3rd).

Anyway, if this is the Model 38, I don't think they started making them earlier than 37. It doesn't make any sense to name a model 38 and start making the several years earlier.
    I think the seller's "1933-1937" is just an honest mistake.

With that being said, I must say I am just an amateur trying to learn as much as possible.

this logo is the 3rd type variant with 36 digits. The 2nd type variant has 34 digits.

This would be a good photo research project on all 3 types to be posted.

In the larger photo is the 2nd variant...let it not be mistaken..that there are 34 digits present..but during the acid etch process some of the digits did not make it to the top and break there the thin layer of metal. if you look close enough you will see shadowing to where the digits want to break through.
    This logo is from my Holler Army dagger as seen in Wittmanns Army book pg 206
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee   Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee  

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee  
    Attached Images Attached Images Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee  Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Chris76 View Post
    I don't think you are right. The 1st Höller Makers Mark is not the one seen on this dagger. I don't know if this mark is the 2nd or 3rd of the Höllers Mark (I think the 3rd).

Anyway, if this is the Model 38, I don't think they started making them earlier than 37. It doesn't make any sense to name a model 38 and start making the several years earlier.
    I think the seller's "1933-1937" is just an honest mistake.

With that being said, I must say I am just an amateur trying to learn as much as possible.
    We are all still learning It doesn't matter how long you are collecting, there is always something new to learn. That's the great thing about this forum.
    I believe there are at least 3 genuine Holler TM variations found on Army daggers. Further I believe the more ticks on the thermometer, the earlier the Holler blade/dagger. The first pic shows the first Höller trademark with 19 ticks down one side of the Thermometer. The second pic shows a mid period (and by far the most encountered) Holler TM with 17 ticks down one side and the last pic a late holler with 11 ticks down one side.

I personally never have seen the late TM on any Höller navy dagger.

Larry, I love that personalization on the crossguard of your Höller dagger

Danny
    Attached Images Attached Images Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee  Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee  Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with portepee 

Thanks!
    The conclusion is that the Kriegsmarine Dagger is this thread, is the 2nd version (middle period) with 17.

This is Great!! Thanks Danny for all three logos...also take notice not only to the ticks but the font style of the Holler lettering..which also should be a good rule of thumb in correlation with the digits. Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Here's a link I found,

Hller

?

Yes, that's a great website! Together with the website of the forum member Degens (wardaggers.com - German Army Daggers and Blades Collectable Edged Weapon Site) the best reference site for heer daggers.

Danny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast