Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need Authentication

Article about: Hi guys, I would like to ask you for help with this dagger which is marked O. 337. I have never seen this kind of markings. Is it original dagger? and in case yes who was maker of this one?

?

Default Kriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need Authentication

Hi guys,
    I would like to ask you for help with this dagger which is marked O. 337. I have never seen this kind of markings. Is it original dagger? and in case yes who was maker of this one? and what does this marking mean? Any opinion is welcome.
    Thank you,
    Mike

Kriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need AuthenticationKriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need Authentication
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need Authentication  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 1st model dagger with m38 pommel and O.337 stamp - Need Authentication
    P
    Many

Hi Mike..beautiful dagger and not sue of the numbering on the ricasso. I have some reservations on the scabbard possibly being all one piece..and not separately applied scabbard bands. Either that ..or the scabbard is very worn down to detect detail in the bands. Wait for member dr73 " Danny" to chime in on this one. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Mike, the number on the blade is a unit marking. It's a nice dagger with a beautiful grip. The only concern is the scabbard. It looks pretty old but when I look at the scabbard bands that are one piece with the scabbard and the typical post war style eyelets I'm pretty sure the scabbard isn't original. I also think the portepee is a post war piece.

Regards
    Danny

Hi, I agree with the others assessments. I do see that the portepee is tied correctly, where as a lot of the ones I see are not. You know being navy, they must have been trying to show off their knot tying skills. Nice dagger.

?

Hi,
    thank you for help. Now I only think if to buy it with this repro scabbard and if yes what is real price, if I will find later original scabbard or if it is better to wait for full original piece.
    Anyway, one more time thank.
    Mike

I would not waste spending money on this one. The sheath is definitely one piece-which gives it the thumbs down, of course, and the knot is iffy. Why then trust the O 337 stamping? It would be simple business to add a punched in marking like this, to add onto the selling price for having a unit marking.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Can the Kriegsmarine Historians place any significance on the O.337 marking. I do realize it is or maybe a post war punch..but is it a letter "O" and not a zero ..and would this represent some type of unit or garrison.

I do believe anything is possible in this day and age of fakers..applying SS numbers to daggers and this O.337 number is no different.

Any idea what this number stood for..it must mean something somewhere. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Definitely looks like an "O", O standing for "Ost", I would think. Eastern fleet U-337? At one time, the U-337 did operate out of Danzig, but was transferred eventually to St Nazaire in France where it was lost in the North Atlantic. This assuming that O. 337 did stand for such a thing-it's possible it could be something entirely different? In any case, I would not feel comfortable with this dagger.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

You will be better off IMO to pass and purchase a complete original example. To venture out and buy an original scabbard is time consuming and never cheap...plus it will always be a marriage of convenience. Good luck.

?

I must admit , I dont like this piece at all, there are some very weird areas of having been cleaned, the area around the stamping especially, the catch has been finely sanded,the Eagles wreaths look very strange, almost as if they,ve been crushed, the knot is a post war addition, and i dont believe the stamps are period done, the scabbard is just awful, plus the metal of the dagger looks as if Tolulene has been applied to age it, it certainly does,nt look like normal patina, i would give this a wide berth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast