Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger

Article about: I was wondering if this dagger is original or a reproduction. If it is fake it will really ruin my day because i already bought it. I look forward to hearing from the experts on this forum.

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger

I was wondering if this dagger is original or a reproduction. If it is fake it will really ruin my day because i already bought it. I look forward to hearing from the experts on this forum. Also please tell me what to look for when i buy these.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger   Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger  

Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger   Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger
    P
    Many

Default re: Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger

Looks good to me! Nice clean etching and engraving too
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

yab
    ?

I have one too, and I also hope it`s ok, if not I know the dealer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger   Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger  

Yab i would say yours looks like mine is the blade engraved also

It is a typical WKC Kriegsmarine with the Fouled Anchor blade engraving. The grip is the "fat style" and looks to be in fine shape. The gilt has pretty much gone completely from what i can see in the photos, but this is common. Now you need to find a Portapee Knot for it to dress it up abit! And maybe some nice lion's head Hangers...and maybe a Belt...and...lolol A Fine KM dagger, in any case! have a good Christmas holidays too! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

yab
    ?

Hi, yes the blade is engraved too, I put some pics on later.
    Regards Yab.

Looks similar to mine- well a little https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...ger-wkc-12465/
    Last edited by reneblacky; 12-23-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: correction

yab
    ?

A few more pics.
    Regards Yab.

yab
    ?

I have another one, how about this? there is no engraving, no lock, and no marker?
    Regards Yab.

Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger   Kriegsmarine 2nd model WKC etched dagger  

The thing one needs to keep in mind when buying a Kriegsmarine dagger is that they are still making these daggers presently. WKC is still in operation & producing a variety of German daggers & swords. So I guess we can't say these daggers are reproductions, per se, but they clearly aren't pre-1945 production.
    WKC Collection - German Imperial Navy Dagger

On first glance, the original posted dagger looks to have a larger than usual WKC logo which seems to be stamped higher on the ricasso than normal. The celluloid also looks kinda bright. I'm not saying it's a modern piece at all, but something to take note of. Are there any tang markings on it? Any internal numberings?

A collector need only look to Eban to see modern production KM daggers by Eickhorn & Alcoso. There are 3 sellers, all likely 1 person, who list many of those found, Porschezelt, Braveheart0514 & Animalundertaker. The prices on the "Imperial" ones they sell are maybe 1/2 the price of an original which in itself should be a red flag. Also, these Eban daggers have larger than period makers' marks. They're similar but way too big & often stamped too high. These sellers also frequently sell modern humped up hangers for DRK dagger, KM dagger & even the rare Railway Water Protection Police dagger.

If you're skeptical, I suggest you look at the feedbacks for each of the mentioned sellers. Take note of the previously sold items which include a heck of a lot of KM daggers all sold below market to a presumably unsuspecting group of collectors. Oddly enough, I know someone who bought one of these daggers recently thinking it was a period piece. After notifying him of my concerns, he contacted the seller asking about the age of the dagger only to be told the seller would take it back but that it was never listed as "original". Apparently that's the game, a decent looking item but with no guarantee of originality in the narrative. Best way to ward this type of stuff off is ask plenty of questions, post pictures on forums & by all means, get some good reference books. When dealing with KM daggers, I'd suggest Wittmann's KM book.