Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger parts dagger- Need Authentication

Article about: Hi all, Apologies for posting this topic again, but I was requested to upload my pictures to the forum rather than using links. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the below piece.

?

All fittings were made from brass, some very late production from about 1942 can be seen with pot metal and steel fittings but not many were made like this.

Tomaz.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger parts dagger- Need Authentication
    P
    Many

?

Hi Tomaz,

Perhaps I'm not reading you correctly, but if the cross-guard were pot metal, would that mean that it was made from steel as oppose to brass?

As a matter of curiosity, I checked it with a magnet and found that it is in no way attracted. Does this still allow for a pot metal construction?

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
    Jack.

?

Pot metal fittings are Zinc and not magnetic.

Tomaz

?

Hi Tomaz,

That explains it!

Many thanks to you and everyone else for your time and input - it’s much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Jack.

Quote by Jack O View Post
    • The cross guard does not tally with the above due to the pot metal manufacture (Can I ask, when did they begin to use this method with Kreigsmarine daggers? What is the earlier alternative to pot metal?).
    • The scabbard does not tally as it is of later manufacture.
    Jack, As they say "History repeats itself" - in the Imperial era during WW I faced with a shortage of brass Solingen makers turned to iron/steel as a substitute. Something that was also done with some dress items such as multiple types of dagger hilts in the TR era after the 1935 edict, but on a relatively limited basis before transitioning to zinc for hilts. Varying by maker and whatever preexisting brass they had available to them until their supplies ran out. 1942 when the last of the RZM daggers were made, the high quality finishing etc. from Solingen actually started going rapidly downhill early in 1942 with production for the Wehrmacht that also saw additional substitutions. Best Regards, Fred

?

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for your thorough explanation. It's always beneficial to have another feather in your cap!

Kind regards,
    Jack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2