Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger with no release button personalized with initials

Article about: Far from mint but thank you

?

Far from mint but thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger with no release button personalized with initials
    P
    Many

As said, plain blades are sometimes seen and are not as common
    as the engraved type.

However, on closer examination I have to agree with the others
    who are against it - the lack of a button is a definite worry.
    Perhaps it is made up with post-war parts as
    mentioned.........
    Regards,

Steve.

There Were KM daggers that did not have the release button-these are the so-called "Model 1929"s that were converted 1921's that were given new pommel caps and even sometimes grips, but this would not explain the unusual elongated shape of the upper section of the blade and the crossguard on this piece just doesn't have the quality that should be there. No traces of gilding are evident as well as total lack of Any signs of brass wire tarnishing in the grooves of the grip from the last 70 years, and, as noted, the left side of the crossguard does look to be of a slightly longer length than the right hand side. Sorry, but I'm not liking this piece at all.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for your comments and opinions gentlemen

Sorry I got to ask a silly question............if there is no release button on the crossguard..then how is the dagger released from the scabbard as i do see the mechanism on the ricasso that holds the dagger in place to the scabbard? Sounds conflicting that you can put it in and not be able to take it out...so there must be some type of release somewhere.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Sorry I got to ask a silly question............if there is no release button on the crossguard..then how is the dagger released from the scabbard as i do see the mechanism on the ricasso that holds the dagger in place to the scabbard? Sounds conflicting that you can put it in and not be able to take it out...so there must be some type of release somewhere.
    Hi Larry the blade comes out with no problem...the blade fits inside the scabbard fine...feels like any normal dagger not to loose the catch on the ricasso seems to serve little purpose....also when i purchased this dagger i was told its an earlier 1921 piece converted

?

Larry, that's not a silly question at all. Navy daggers without a release button exist but never in combination with this type of crossguard. Even most imperial navy daggers and "flaming ball" navy daggers (1921 model) have a release button. If a dagger has no release button, you need a different mechanism to "lock" the dagger to prevent it from falling out of the scabbard (or to prevent that it is impossible to get it out of the scabbard ). Here are some pictures of two of my imperial daggers with the mechanism that was used on daggers without a release button.

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger with no release button personalized with initials   Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger with no release button personalized with initials  

Last edited by dr73; 10-02-2013 at 10:08 PM.

?

My 2 cents:
    I think this one is a parts dagger: the blade's shape is different then the TR blades.
    Lack of the release button in combination with the standard scabbard/blade lock is not done.
    Definate a wrong type of cross guard.
    Sorry to say but I have to agree with Danny and William, this is a parts dagger.

Ger

Thanks Danny .......I learned something and you saved me from looking relentlessly probably for an obscure paragraph somewhere. What the hands can not do the arms give support!! Thanks again Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

this dagger was a head scratcher for me. the taper of the edge grinding by the cross guard is different from others I have seen. but what really had me going was the lack of a button for the lock. but before I could just dismiss it out of hand, I had to do some looking around. i'd like to know your opinions on the other navy daggers I found with no button but typical blade locks. i'm honestly just curious. and hope others are too. please look at the links.
    1929 model 1929 German Naval Dirk
    WKC plain blade German Flaming Ball Naval Dagger
    we do find oddities in this hobby, as I understand it, the Germans recycled about everything. like ww1 helmets and weapons, police daggers etc. but again my only point is the lock and lack of a button. let us know what you think, and if any one else can find examples of no button locks with the button style lock.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast