Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kriegsmarine Parts dagger vs. Period parts change - Not always text book

Article about: Because the navy had been officially carrying daggers for 85 years when the third reich came in and with different designs for imperial, provisional reichsmarine, reichsmarine and kriegsmari

?

Yes Oleg I meant me and TW have the same opinion. Page 243 and especialy the top of page 244 of his navy book.
    Best Tomaz.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Parts dagger vs. Period parts change - Not always text book
    P
    Many

?

Hi Tomaz.
    I personally like this part of the though of TW:"When this occurs, of course, it may be to traceable to collectors switching better-conditioned parts and/or scabbards over the year".
    Like Hermann Hampe already said, an investition in a parts dagger is always a bad investition. I have a same opinion.
    Best,
    Oleg.

?

Yes Oleg i have previously said that as well, here's the bit i liked: "The larger firms such as Carl Eickhorn, WKC, F.W. Holler and Alcoso generally produced their own distinctive fittings, that is not to say these popular maker-marked examples will always be found complete with their own signature fittings" he goes on to say "On occasion, however, this writer/researcher has encountered unaltered homogeneous dirks with hilt parts and/or scabbards attributable to competing firms, in most cases it is due to selling of excess stock of inventory parts practised between competing firms. Well into the war this was common".
    Its always going to be down to personal opinion.
    Best Tomaz.

?

Tomaz,
    you are right when you said: It's always going to be down to personal opinion. But the own opinions can allow the readers of the books. The authors need a facts, because the opinion of the reader from the content of the book very dependent is.
    Best,
    Oleg.

?

That's true Oleg its always best to have facts but as you know not much documentation exists to acquire all the facts and a lot of this stuff comes down to personal opinions through observations and comparisons. You have your opinions which will not always be shared by others, for instance Puma manufacturing their own navy parts when there is no documentation (as said by you yourself), generic parts, not many navy daggers produced and no other types of daggers manufactured, but you are entitled it.
    When i have submitted threads i have given it a lot of thought and have explained i think in good detail for why i think my findings are correct, i have not got anything back to disclaim them except personal opinions, that's not to say my findings are correct as i have made some big blunders, but until proven wrong i will continue to have my beliefs on manufacturers & producers, replacement and generic pommels and trading between companies.
    Best Tomaz.

?

Tomaz,
    of course you have right to have your own opinion. I just wanted to say that we not only have to read the books, but wie must also analyze what we read. Just for example, please take a look at the pages 290 and 291 of TW book, and you will see that the description of the lower parts of the scabbards is wrong. The correct variant would be not from the top to bottom, but the other way. On the page 291 the typical Eickhorn eagle was called Weyersberg eagle. Are you also agree with that? As you can see, this is a very good book, but it is also not mistake free one. That's about The books.
    About The Puma daggers: All KM daggers by Puma looks same or very similar. Maybe was Puma a maker of the parts you call generic? Who know.
    Like already said, you can have your opinion about a trading between the companies, but you will always have a problems, if you will try to sell a parts dagger. Many people say that it is possible, but no one wants to buy a parts dagger.
    Best,
    Oleg.

?

That's true Oleg and there are a lot of mistakes with the daggers in that book as there are with most books. Yes it is harder to sell a dagger with a combination of parts but a lot of people including dealers still buy them, even Dannys Horster must of looked the real deal as i know he knows his stuff. We can go round in circles with this all day so i will leave it at that.
    Who knows what is still out there to be discovered, new variations, who knows, I hear this saying all the time on here when a "big collector" comes on here with something that has not been seen before. We will wait to see but unless it is posted by a "big collector" i doubt anything but textbook will be accepted. Thanks for the replies Oleg it was interesting.
    Best Tomaz.

?

Dear Tomaz,
    thank you for your kind answers and your patience with me. Discussing in a gentle way is becoming rare today, so and I appreciate this and your deep interest in our hobby. Thank you.
    Regards;
    Oleg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2