Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks

Article about: Thx Larry! ( and of course Horst!) i'm not so into swords, and i never knew how the lock device worked, you cleared that up I learned something new! Great. Cheers Ger

Default Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks

I Give credit to our own moderator Horst for pointing this subtle nuance that is over looked in collecting naval daggers. I had the pleasure of meeting with him over the weekend and an in depth education left me very humbled. I was exhausted by the amount of knowledge in all areas of collecting TR regalia.
    The Naval dagger and naval sword from both wars,,for those who collect them and the new collector ,, will take notice of a release button on the dagger or sword guard area. This branch of service out of all organizations,, is the only one with a release button. The reason being which makes absolute sense is the fact when an Army or SA/SS ,, Teno Gov. Official etc fall out of the scabbard it falls as far as the ground. We bend over and pick it up. The Naval dagger and sword most of the time were carried on ships and Im sure thet fell out in the galley or Helm and or some other important part of the ship,, but those standing close to the edge of a ship at the railing and if the dagger or sword fell from its sheath....over board it went to the bottom of the ocean. The End!!,, just an empty sheath!
    below are a couple of pics that ( I make no claim of owning the photo nor dagger and sword,, but for reference purposes only )
    The first photo is a Naval dagger with the push button type commonly seen.......The next photo is a naval sword but the lock in place system on this is not a button but a "hinge" type device that snaps over the button. I have shown with arrows,, the open and closed position of the hinge type device. I thank Horst for pointing this out to me and the credit goes to him but i wanted to share what I thought was never talked about or taken for granted. Cool stuff !!
    Attached Images Attached Images Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks  Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks

a nice little piece of knowledge i had no idea these were even on the naval blades thx larry

Interesting Thanks for this post
    Here's a shot of the catch from my WKC

Thanks Rene for the photo,, Notably also which puts the WKC firm in a class of its own is the fact that they are the only maker to have the release button on the same side as the logo. Interesting to see a green buffer pad on a WKC,, usually they are red,,but none the less a replacement at some period in time. Is your blade etch the sailing ship motiff ,,or the fouled anchor most commonly seen?? Thanks for showing a closer pic of the button. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Thanks Rene for the photo,, Notably also which puts the WKC firm in a class of its own is the fact that they are the only maker to have the release button on the same side as the logo. Interesting to see a green buffer pad on a WKC,, usually they are red,,but none the less a replacement at some period in time. Is your blade etch the sailing ship motiff ,,or the fouled anchor most commonly seen?? Thanks for showing a closer pic of the button. Regards Larry
    No Worries Larry it has the fouled anchor, I originally post this a few years ago here - https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...ger-wkc-12465/
    My one has the logo on the opposite side of the release button
    Last edited by reneblacky; 08-27-2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: added text

My apologies misinformation..... as WKC was the only maker to have their logo on the obverse side of the blade,, the button was always on the reverse side of all maker daggers. Sorry about that the hour is late here Larry

Quote by Larry C View Post
    My apologies misinformation..... as WKC was the only maker to have their logo on the obverse side of the blade,, the button was always on the reverse side of all maker daggers. Sorry about that the hour is late here Larry
    hehehe no problem Larry

This is interesting because I have a friend who has a WKC Naval dagger and the release button is also not on the maker mark side. I posted the dagger for him here in the dagger section, and it got all positive reviews. Any idea on why it's different?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks   Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks  

Why Kriegsmarine daggers and swords have locks  

Quote by helmetone View Post
    This is interesting because I have a friend who has a WKC Naval dagger and the release button is also not on the maker mark side. I posted the dagger for him here in the dagger section, and it got all positive reviews. Any idea on why it's different?
    no no Larry got it wrong and rectified his error mate
    Nice shots there
    Last edited by reneblacky; 08-27-2012 at 04:53 AM. Reason: added text

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    no no Larry got it wrong and rectified his error mate
    Nice shots there
    Apologies, I missed his reply where he corrected his error. No worries now.

And thanks, I have offered to buy his dagger, but his grandfather brought it back and he is not ready to part with it just yet. He know to call me first if he ever does. I have the cash ready

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast