Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication

Article about: Guys, here are two navy daggers I bought at a local militaria auction this past Friday. Thought you'd like to have a look, and your comments are welcomed. Hal Ps; The only thing I noticed wa

Hal
    ?

Default Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication

Guys, here are two navy daggers I bought at a local militaria auction this past Friday. Thought you'd like to have a look, and your comments are welcomed. Hal Ps; The only thing I noticed was the wire wrap on the Eickhorn dagger; less turns than I normally see on Eickhorn daggers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication   Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication  

Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication   Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication  

Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication   Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication  

Last edited by Hal; 09-20-2015 at 10:59 PM.
    A long time ago in a land far,far away....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication
    P
    Many

?

Hi Hal, Does the grip on the Eickhorn have a wooden core, if not it could be post war. Is the scabbard on the Eickhorn magnetic and are the bands pressed out or separately applied, Eickhorn did produce a steel scabbard with pressed out bands late in the war but if its brass with pressed out bands its post war. On the second picture there looks to be a big difference between the length of the blade and the scabbard between each dagger, is it just the picture or are they a lot different in length.

?

Hi Hal,

On the Eickhorn....As Tomaz mentions I would check the core to see if wooden. The blade length difference and even scabbard size does look bigger. I have a WKC and Eickhorn and they are very close to same length. I have examined the stamped makers mark. A subtle difference I noted with fonts was in the G's and S. With mainly the cross bar in G being different and also look closely at S as yours curls around on bottom of S and mine is more straight. Also in squirrels ears. On mine the ears are slightly widened at top with yours coming more straight up. Subtle difference in armpit on front shoulder has no indent on mine with yours having one. Also the blade etch looks a little rough on the blade you show. Here is a link to more pics of mine: 2nd Model Navy Dagger - Eickhorn and some pictures from mine and yours below. Also I would see what Kriegsman Danny feels as he helped look over mine before I made the final buy. I certainly know a fraction of what he knows about the Kriegs. Hope analysis helps. Certainly not trying to pick it apart but noting minor / subtle differences. Good luck!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication   Eickhorn 2nd model and WKC etched daggers - Need Authentication  

Last edited by Rossi; 09-22-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hal
    ?

Quote by Tomaz View Post
    Hi Hal, Does the grip on the Eickhorn have a wooden core, if not it could be post war. Is the scabbard on the Eickhorn magnetic and are the bands pressed out or separately applied, Eickhorn did produce a steel scabbard with pressed out bands late in the war but if its brass with pressed out bands its post war. On the second picture there looks to be a big difference between the length of the blade and the scabbard between each dagger, is it just the picture or are they a lot different in length.
    Hi Tomaz, thanks for the reply. The grip has a wooden core, the scabbard is brass with separately applied bands. The daggers overall are the same length; the blade on the Eickhorn is a 1/4" longer and the handle a 1/4" shorter. My concern was whether or not the grip wire was replaced buy upon closer inspection there are traces of gilding on the wire which leads me to believe the wire is original to the piece. Best regards, Hal PS; thanks for the info on the Eickhorn steel scabbard. I never knew they produced one.
    Last edited by Hal; 09-22-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Hal
    ?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Hi Hal,

On the Eickhorn....As Tomaz mentions I would check the core to see if wooden. The blade length difference and even scabbard size does look bigger. I have a WKC and Eickhorn and they are very close to same length. I have examined the stamped makers mark. A subtle difference I noted with fonts was in the G's and S. With mainly the cross bar in G being different and also look closely at S as yours curls around on bottom of S and mine is more straight. Also in squirrels ears. On mine the ears are slightly widened at top with yours coming more straight up. Subtle difference in armpit on front shoulder has no indent on mine with yours having one. Also the blade etch looks a little rough on the blade you show. Here is a link to more pics of mine: 2nd Model Navy Dagger - Eickhorn and some pictures from mine and yours below. Also I would see what Kriegsman Danny feels as he helped look over mine before I made the final buy. I certainly know a fraction of what he knows about the Kriegs. Hope analysis helps. Certainly not trying to pick it apart but noting the differences. My gut tells me the Eickhorn could be a well made post war piece but see what others opine with. Good luck!
    Hi Rossi, thanks for your reply. The differences you show between the logo's and etchings are very interesting. Thanks again, Hal PS; By the way....great collection!

?

Quote by Hal View Post
    Hi Rossi, thanks for your reply. The differences you show between the logo's and etchings are very interesting. Thanks again, Hal PS; By the way....great collection!
    Thanks Hal....Good hearing from you. Not sure the logo is the biggest flag but notable. See what the others think and if Danny weighs in along with the other Kriegs crew. It could be just fine.

Hal
    ?

Default Additional close-ups of Eickhorn dagger

Guys, thought I'd show a few more pics of the Eickhorn dagger. Hal Ps; Are the pan head scabbard screws normal for this maker?

?

Hal here are some similar shots I took of mine to compare yours with...Hoping it helps. Screws on mine differ a bit and the tip of my scabbard is banded at end slightly different than yours

Could this Eickhorn somehow be a custom ordered piece for an exceptionally tall or large officer?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hal the screws should be dome head like what Rossi shows, the flat head ones on yours were used by Alcoso. Ive never seen a chape like that they do normally have a band around. Your dagger is a late war one with what looks like an aluminium or pot metal pommel so I wonder if it was just another way of saving a little bit of brass. Is there a small gap on the fit between the chape and the bottom of the acanthus leaves, it may have been replaced some time due to damage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast