Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Article about: by danhashman There are those little crossed swords on the ribbon. Is there something to tell about that? I often see Ehrenkreuze whose ribbons have no little swords attached to it, i guess

?

HPL2008, thank you for this amazing thread about this common, underrated, but nice simple award
    Here are some photos of original packets for this crosses.
    The 1914/1918 EhrenkreuzThe 1914/1918 EhrenkreuzThe 1914/1918 EhrenkreuzThe 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz
    P
    Many

?

Two new additions. Frontkämpfer and Kriegsteilnehmer cross in two different mounting style.

The 1914/1918 EhrenkreuzThe 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Very nice pieces, Ladis!

By the way, when I started this thread, it was intended to show the Ehrenkreuze from my own collection, but the very nice contributions from other members sharing their own examples are much welcome and appreciated. The more variants we can show, the better.

(In fact, when I made that first post, I wasn't really expecting the thread to grow and last like this. Half a decade on, we have now arrived at a respectable 182 posts on 19 pages. Not bad.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Very nice pieces, Ladis!

By the way, when I started this thread, it was intended to show the Ehrenkreuze from my own collection, but the very nice contributions from other members sharing their own examples are much welcome and appreciated. The more variants we can show, the better.

(In fact, when I made that first post, I wasn't really expecting the thread to grow and last like this. Half a decade on, we have now arrived at a respectable 182 posts on 19 pages. Not bad.)
    It's funny how that works. My thread on Imperial irons crosses was supposed to be a way for me
    to introduce myself when I first joined up. It's taken on a whole life of it's own.

I enjoy checking in on this thread. You have some very nice pieces and they are nicely presented.
    What's not to like.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Here is another four-place ribbon bar with the German, Austrian, Hungarian and Bulgarian awards for WWI combatants.

It's a neat little bar constructed with 15 mm wide ribbons.

Obverse view. The bar shows some honest patina and wear:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Reverse view. Unfortunately, the grey backing material has moth damage:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Size comparison with a full-size medal bar and a ribbon bar with 25 mm wide ribbons (both alredy shown in earlier posts in this thread):

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Just in, here is another ribbon bar.

Apparently worn by a medic, physician or even nurse of the German Red Cross, this 6-place bar once again combines the Ehrenkreuz with its Austrian, Hungarian and Bulgarian equivalents - all in their non-combatants' version - and the 2nd and 3rd Class of the Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille.

Obverse view, showing its age with wear, patina, stains and fading from sunlight exposure, the latter being particularly heavy on the Bulgarian medal:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The reverse has aged a bit better:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

(I will also add this one to my threads on the Hungarian War Commemorative Medal and the Prussian Red Cross Medal.)

Just in is another ribbon bar, found on eBay and acquired for a good price.

It's not in the best condition, but I had to have it as it is a "grand slam" bar: In addition to the combatants' versions of the German, Austrian, Hungarian and Bulgarian awards, this one also has the Tiroler Landesdenkmünze 1914/18 [Tyrolean State Commemorative Medal 1914/18].

The latter is far less common than the other four, as it was only awarded to soldiers who either were from Tyrol or had fought on Tyrolean territory, and a bar with all five of these awards is fairly rare. (For a lapel bow with the ribbons for these five decorations, see post # 126 on page 13 of this thread.)

Obverse and reverse views:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Unfortunately, the green stripes on the ribbon of the Tyrolean medal have faded to such a degree that they are hardly discernible on the obverse side, especially on photographs. They are more clearly visible on what little is exposed of the ribbon on the bar's reverse side:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The latest addition to the family is another nice unmounted Ehrenkreuz für Witwen und Eltern.

Best of all, it was free, as it was a (wholly unexpected) gift from a fellow forum member.

A very big "thank you" goes out to Carl. Your generosity is greatly appreciated!

Obverse and reverse view:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Close-up on the "FHB" maker's mark for Ferdinand Hoffstätter, Bonn:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Nice gift Andreas
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

It has been a while since my last addition to the thread, so it's time for another update.

Here is another Ehrenkreuz für Witwen und Eltern. The cross is unmarked and mounted in the pentagonal Saxon style. Obverse and reverse view:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

A two-place medal bar combining the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer with the Prussian Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst. The Ehrenkreuz is marked "HKM" for Heinrich Kissing of Menden. The company is still in business, but does not manufacture decorations anymore. Obverse and reverse view and an additional reverse view with the crosses flipped over to show the reverse sides:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast