Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

2 kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )

Article about: Hi Guys, Well, I agree Martin is "the man" for Hilfskreuzers. It thanks to his interest, support and his great collection that we know what we do. Having said that he's a little to

?

Hi Guys,

Well, I agree Martin is "the man" for Hilfskreuzers. It thanks to his interest, support and his great collection that we know what we do.

Having said that he's a little too kind towards this "S&L", due his gentlemanly and trusting nature. ;-) Although it's similar to the post-war assembled S&L badges, it's actually an outright fake by Staegemeir which was based on S&L's zincers with the "Type 2" post-war globe -- a fake of a post-war badge. The base metal and the hardware are wrong and you see a combination of Staegemeir features -- the abrasions on the reverse, the slightly oversized catch plate and the wrong rivet which matches neither S&L's wartime nor their post-war rivets.

Here's a compare of that catch and badge surface to a Staegemeir "Schwerin" and a Staegemeir "S&L". Dastardly.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )   2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )
    P
    Many

Hi Norm , thank you for this additional information, very interesting. It's a sad day when even the fakes are being copied! Still it only highlights that the attributes of an original piece remain constant and the copies can only strive for that "perfection". Thanks for your knowledge and willingness to share it ,both Norm and Martin! Leon.

Well spotted Norm,excellent work as always.

I admit that i had my doubts about that reverse set up,block hinge,wide mainpin and bulging rivet.I had not seen that combination on any postwar S&L badge.

I fault myself for being a little lazy here and not looking into it further.

Anyway,thanks for taking the time to find the origins of this particular badge and sharing with us.

Cheers,Martin.

Quote by big ned View Post
    First one could possibly be a block hinged unmarked zinc badge attributed to Steinhauer & Luck. I have seen one almost identical to this recently, but it had a hollow rivet which I was told meant it was probably post war production, but the one above is solid. Better wait for Adrian or Martin on this one.
    Could have been this one Ned ?

This is from my collection and i am fairly confident that it is a postwar piece by S&L?

It has the flawed 2nd type globe and a laid down block hinge,although a am not certain of when this type of badge was produced by S&L ?

The rivet is another give away IMO.it is hollow and typical of S&L's postwar production.

I have a few of these postwar S&L's in my collection along with postwar examples by R.S and F.O.

To me they are interesting and have helped in following and identifying the postwar production of these firms,with a little help from Norm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )   2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )  

Quote by martinw View Post

Could have been this one Ned ?

This is from my collection and i am fairly confident that it is a postwar piece by S&L?

It has the flawed 2nd type globe and a laid down block hinge,although a am not certain of when this type of badge was produced by S&L ?

The rivet is another give away IMO.it is hollow and typical of S&L's postwar production.

I have a few of these postwar S&L's in my collection along with postwar examples by R.S and F.O.

To me they are interesting and have helped in following and identifying the postwar production of these firms,with a little help from Norm.
    That's it, or rather just like that one Mart.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3