Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

About the Deutsche Adlerorden

Article about: I've been looking for information about the Order of the German Eagle crosses in different classes, but I'm still a bit confused. Sorry if this is a common question here. - Some crosses come

Default About the Deutsche Adlerorden

I've been looking for information about the Order of the German Eagle crosses in different classes, but I'm still a bit confused. Sorry if this is a common question here.

- Some crosses come with a ribbon and some with just a pin. Why is that?
    - I've seen pictures of 5th and 3rd class crosses in gold and 2nd class in silver. What defines the color?
    - Is it possible the cross in the same class exists in both silver and gold version?
    - What exactly is the difference in appearance between classes 1-3 or later 1-5?

Is there a good picture guide online of what the cross looks in different classes?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rbminis; 02-01-2017 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement About the Deutsche Adlerorden
    P
    Many

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_German_Eagle

1 - use fingers

2 - type "Order of the German Eagle" in search bar

3 - choose results / images

4 - Hey presto

Thank you for the witty reply. I have read pretty much all the threads I could find on this forum and other sites (including the wikipedia article). Still remains unclear why the cross was sometimes with a ribbon and sometimes just a pin? What defined if it was awarded in gold or silver? Also some sources say these were only manufactured by Godet, yet others also list Zimmermann crosses. Any information would be appreciated.

Sorry for not using the German term in the title, noticed that requirement too late.

Quote by Jet Ace View Post
    Still remains unclear why the cross was sometimes with a ribbon and sometimes just a pin? What defined if it was awarded in gold or silver?
    Come on, are you honestly saying you are wholly unaware of the fact that different classes of an order are worn in different ways and are visually different?

For the DAO, the final sequence is:

• 5th Class = cross on a ribbon (45 mm), gold eagles
    • 4th Class = pinback cross (50 mm), gold eagles
    • 3rd Class = neck cross (50 mm), gold eagles
    • 2nd Class = neck cross (50 mm) with silver six-pointed breast star (75 mm), gold eagles
    • 1st Class = sash cross (50 mm cross/90 mm sash with white center stripe) with silver eight-pointed breast star (80 mm), silver eagles with gold borders
    • Grand Cross = sash cross (60 mm cross/100 mm sash) with silver eight-pointed breast star (80 mm), gold eagles
    • Special Grade/Golden Grand Cross = sash cross (66 mm cross/100 mm sash) with gold eight-pointed breast star (91 mm), gold eagles
    • Special Grade/Golden Grand Cross with Diamonds = sash cross (66 mm cross/100 mm sash) with gold, diamond-encrusted, eight-pointed breast star (91 mm), gold eagles

(Plus the silver and bronze medal. All grades could be awarded with and without swords.)

Thank you for the information. I'm just learning about this order, but I was aware that they are visually different. Just didn't find which of them were with a pin or if the pin version exists of the same class.