Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher

Article about: I think you have a good and unusual variant there Leon. It seems between the obvious flatback and dishback vatiants.Interesting looking badge but an original IMO. It is nice to see your grow

Thanks for your input Norm.

Wonderful and imformative,as always.

It has always been a puzzle to me why Schwerin used two sets of reverse dies on both tombak and zinc production,with the flat and dished back variants.and of course the two variant maker marks?

I was a little concerned at first about the badge that Leon posted in the thread opener.After comparing the maker marks with other examples i had on file i did beleive that it was a good one,even though i thought it was a flatback example from the images provided.

Hopefully,Leon can post more detailed images when he receives the badge ?

Cheers,Martin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher
    P
    Many

Now,i am inclined to think that the smaller,wider spaced font examples with the flatback should be reffered to as type 1 IMO.

I say this because i think this type of badge was possibly the earliest of Schwerin's tombak BB production.

Here is an example that i have.It is a well worn tombak piece with a more "silver" type of obverse finish,not the heavy bluing that we seen on what i would consider later production pieces.This type of "silver" finish can also be seen on early type 1 Schwerin Destroyer badges.

The reverse features a domed head hinge pin,which also leads me to beleive it is an early production piece ?

I have bought and sold a few great looking Schwerin BB awards in he past,(pictured above) but i just love this old,worn piece and one i would never part with.

Regards,Martin.
    Attached Images Attached Images Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher  Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher 

?

Hi Martin,

That's excellent reasoning and I agree that's very likely the case. So you're suggesting the flat back variety began in Tombak, followed and overlapped by the dishback in Tombak to meet production needs, and then a transition to zinc using both sets of tooling? That would fit the observations.

Another observation that would fit that timeline, is the smaller font maker mark with the wider spaced rows is the same that Schwerin used on the Minesweeper badge which was introduced earlier than the Blockade Breaker badge so they perhaps early on had a stamp or template with this mark that was used during die production.

I'll update the comparative image to reverse the order of the two types.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Quote by Norm F View Post
    Hi Martin,

That's excellent reasoning and I agree that's very likely the case. So you're suggesting the flat back variety began in Tombak, followed and overlapped by the dishback in Tombak to meet production needs, and then a transition to zinc using both sets of tooling? That would fit the observations.

Another observation that would fit that timeline, is the smaller font maker mark with the wider spaced rows is the same that Schwerin used on the Minesweeper badge which was introduced earlier than the Blockade Breaker badge so they perhaps early on had a stamp or template with this mark that was used during die production.

I'll update the comparative image to reverse the order of the two types.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Hi Nom,

i am just basing my observations on the finish and the hingepin in this case.

I do think that the early badges by Schwerin had this less "blued" type of finish on the obverse and reverse.We can see this more "silver" type of finish on the type 1 Destroyer badges,as i have mentioned and on the early Minesweeper and Fleet badges also.
    The later production pieces were the ones with the lovely "blued" finish and superb fire gilding,i think?

I just think that Schwerin's quality in regards to the finish on their tombak awards improved rapidly in the early war period ?

Then they went from tombak to zinc,and that's another story.

Regards,Martin.

Thanks Norm for your input and the detailed explanation, it is most appreciated. I will post some nice "close ups" when it arrives. Once again Martin, thank you for your thoughts and time. Leon.

?

Quote by martinw View Post
    Hi Nom,

i am just basing my observations on the finish and the hingepin in this case.

I do think that the early badges by Schwerin had this less "blued" type of finish on the obverse and reverse.We can see this more "silver" type of finish on the type 1 Destroyer badges,as i have mentioned and on the early Minesweeper and Fleet badges also.
    The later production pieces were the ones with the lovely "blued" finish and superb fire gilding,i think?

I just think that Schwerin's quality in regards to the finish on their tombak awards improved rapidly in the early war period ?

Regards,Martin.
    Hi Martin,

I'm not so sure the finish is a significant clue for the timeline of the Type 1 and Type 2 Blockade Breaker. The Tombak flat backed example you posted is heavily worn (nice character BTW) which gives it that silver look. Here are two minty flat backed examples with quite rich looking finish.

Nevertheless, another clue to the timeline is the type of catch. You can see on the two attached examples that the flat backed "Type 1" badge began with the "C"-shaped flat-wire catch (Type 1.1) and transitioned to the flat-based catch (Type 1.2). I'm still looking for more images of Tombak dishback examples, but so far every example I've seen has the flat-based catch which we consider to be later than the "C"-shaped catch across the Schwerin production lines.

So again it seems the "Type 1" flat backed badges with the wide spaced maker mark was introduced with the institution of the BB badge in April 1941 with a "C-shaped" catch and then transitioned to a flat-based catch. At this point towards the end of the Tombak era, the "Type 2" is introduced overlapping with the "Type 1" production and both then transition to zinc in late 1941 or early 1942. Another observation supporting this is it seems the Type 2 Tombaks are much less common than the Type 1 which would fit with them being introduced shortly before the transition to zinc.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher   Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher  

Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher   Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher  

Hello Martin and Norm , here it is , it is a real beauty in my eye's. This award is indeed a "dishback" , but the dish is so shallow that it is almost invisible to the eye let alone the camera! I have attempted to show it in these images but it is really hard to see even in hand. You can feel the "dip" in the surface when you run your finger over it though. I hope these images are useful and you can see what you need, all the best , Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher   Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher  

?

Hi Leon,

I agree, a real beauty, and your last photo showing the oblique of the reverse nicely reveals the dishback contour. The badge is in excellent condition and I like the way the catch attachment is clear of the maker mark -- so often the solder obliterates the lower part of the mark. Congratulations on a great find.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Hi Norm , I'm glad it checks out ok and you like it ,it now sits in my little cabinet with some friends!! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Fur Blockadebrecher  

?

What a great looking badge. Congrats.
    Unusual design and IMO 'restrained' in the sense, that it doesnt resemble the FLAK, sub or other badges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast