Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Afrika medal and Anschluss Medal

Article about: Hey, got these two medals today. What do you think about them? See anything suspicious?

Default Afrika medal and Anschluss Medal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Afrika medal and Anschluss Medal
    P
    Many

Default Re: Afrika medal and Anschluss Medal

Nothing suspicious from where I am sat !! Nice purchases Anton

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Farradin View Post
    See anything suspicious?
    Not from here, they both look fine. The Afrika medal looks to be the earlier bronze type (as opposed to zinc).

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi, thanks for replying! Where the Afrika medal made in 2 versions?
    Which side of the medal is the frontside?

?

Quote by Farradin View Post
    Hi, thanks for replying! Where the Afrika medal made in 2 versions?
    Which side of the medal is the frontside?
    Hi Anton,
    As far as I know the medal was made in bronze, then zinc. The front is the side with the gladiators and crocodile with the black stripe of the ribbon to the viewers left. However, both ways are acceptable.
    For reference here is the arch depicted on the medal.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afrika medal and Anschluss Medal  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Here is some info on this medal Anton:
    The Italo-German Campaign Medal for service in Africa was instituted by the Italian Government to reward the achievements of Rommel's Afrika Korps. The medal was only to be awarded to German troops, the first presentations taking place in 1942. Due to Italy's withdrawal from the war and subsequent surrender, the wear of all Italian awards was prohibited in orders distributed to the German Armed Forces dated March 29th, 1944.

The Italo-German Campaign Medal was initially produced in solid Bronze, but war time shortages forced a switch to “war medal” with a Bronze finish. It measured 31mm by 31 mm, with a ribbon device that measured 6 mm in height and 18 mm in width.

The obverse of the medal is concave and features two gladiators symbolizing Italy and Germany doing battle with a crocodile, which symbolizes Britain. The reverse shows a swastika and fasces, each on one side of the Italian Felini Arch again depicting Italo-German cooperation. Under the arch is the Royal Knot of the House of Savoy. Around the rim of the reverse is the inscription “Italo-German Campaign in Africa”, in German (on the side of the swastika) and in Italian separated on top and bottom by two single leaves.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks again guys!

Very usefull reading, Nick!

Nice picture Adrian ! Do you know what happened to that arch or is it still standing ?

Nick

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Here is some info on this medal Anton:
    The Italo-German Campaign Medal for service in Africa was instituted by the Italian Government to reward the achievements of Rommel's Afrika Korps. The medal was only to be awarded to German troops, the first presentations taking place in 1942. Due to Italy's withdrawal from the war and subsequent surrender, the wear of all Italian awards was prohibited in orders distributed to the German Armed Forces dated March 29th, 1944.

The Italo-German Campaign Medal was initially produced in solid Bronze, but war time shortages forced a switch to “war medal” with a Bronze finish. It measured 31mm by 31 mm, with a ribbon device that measured 6 mm in height and 18 mm in width.

The obverse of the medal is concave and features two gladiators symbolizing Italy and Germany doing battle with a crocodile, which symbolizes Britain. The reverse shows a swastika and fasces, each on one side of the Italian Felini Arch again depicting Italo-German cooperation. Under the arch is the Royal Knot of the House of Savoy. Around the rim of the reverse is the inscription “Italo-German Campaign in Africa”, in German (on the side of the swastika) and in Italian separated on top and bottom by two single leaves.
    You learn something new every day!
    Great info and thanks for sharing it!
    Jay.

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Nice picture Adrian ! Do you know what happened to that arch or is it still standing ?

Nick
    Hi Nick, the arch is no more, check this link out L'arco dei Fileni de Mussolini
    Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast