Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

another dodgy Deutsche Kreuz??

Article about: another for the experts,obviously had some repairs so it could be right

Default another dodgy Deutsche Kreuz??

another dodgy Deutsche Kreuz??another dodgy Deutsche Kreuz??

another for the experts,obviously had some repairs so it could be right

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement another dodgy Deutsche Kreuz??
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: another dodgy kreuz??

Looks like its a parts piece.
    There are obvious repairs as you say, the hinge and pin are wrong for a pre '45 piece, the catch has been repaired and very crudely too. The swasika has moved, is loose or is not original to the piece and the rivets are obviously mucked about with. I'm fairly sure not all of these components started life together.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: another dodgy Deutsche Kreuz??

A 'Frankenstein' piece as Adrian states

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

But still worth a bob or two if the obverse components are legitimate TR.

?

How much is being asked for the piece?

hi auction estimate £80 to 120

?

Hmm.

It might be worth a punt if the obverse pieces are original. My best guess would be it has a replaced rear plate with a '57 part and the rest stands a chance of being good, albeit possibly made of parts and maybe loose.

Anyone else like to take a stab at the authenticity of the pieces?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Hmm.

It might be worth a punt if the obverse pieces are original. My best guess would be it has a replaced rear plate with a '57 part and the rest stands a chance of being good, albeit possibly made of parts and maybe loose.

Anyone else like to take a stab at the authenticity of the pieces?
    Hi Adrian,

Interesting thread. I like the look of the obverse pieces, the wreath and swastika look authentic to me. I would guess that the wreath is either of the Deschler or Godet type due to the heavy detail compared to other makers. The 'shelling' of the enamel on the cross and the uniform thickness of the silvered edge around it appears to show the quality of that part.

The silvered disc I also like, the finish and the correct coloured red rings appear genuine to me, although I wonder if it were originally a part with the other two pieces as the cross obviously has moved downwards a lot, suggesting that it has been 'made to fit' and therefore could be cobbled together to complete the whole. It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of hand finishing went into the construction of each cross and as such, all have their own unique little differences, however minute.

As you point out, the reverse is of the '57 type crosses, and reminds me of the S&L make especially, although there appears to be a maker's mark stamped on the pin that may indicate otherwise.

This is just my opinion, but the obverse parts have the sign of quality that fakes do not, and if it can be bought for around the estimated auction value, a pretty good deal is to be had I believe.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A very comprehensive and learned synopsis Ned

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem