Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another RS&S Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen for review

Article about: I think this one might be good.

?

Default Another RS&S Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen for review

I think this one might be good.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another RS&S Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen for review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another RS&S Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen for review
    P
    Many

?

Obverse
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another RS&S Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen for review  

looks good to me.

Hi Snowman, I give this one a better chance than the other one posted, the ball hinge looks ok although it's mount is a bit messy, where the catch should be looks as though it was period repaired and then broke off again! The gaps in the reverse seem as far as I can make out to be of the right proportions from this "angled" image. Oh, and the big bonus is that it looks like zinc!! Leon.

?

Hi Guys,

In my opinion we're looking here at a high quality micro casting and you'll notice the ball hinge is soldered into the crimp replica rather than being actually crimped in.

Furthermore, when you compare to the images from the first thread you can see this is actually the same badge obverse but combined with a different reverse photo. I suspect the pairing in this thread is correct while in the first thread a different reverse shot was shown. Possibly two different reverses from the same "shop" as they worked up their product?

Snoman, where are you getting these?

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

Norm

You're absolutely right.The problem is that in the first thread I pulled up the wrong obverse from my IPad album.Here is the correct first obverse.No photo shopping involved.Picked these up over the years at auction.Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Best regards,Steve

?

Reverse

?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the confirmation. But I assume you got those two at the same time?

Here's a comparison of your two badges with an original at the top. Usually the port holes are exceptionally distinct on an R.S.&S. Fleet badge (as is all the obverse detail). Notice that even on your "better" badge the port holes are not all clear and one of them has some sort of resin filling it. I've drawn lines connecting the corresponding areas on your two badges. You can see the crude one has filling in of the same portholes and is also missing the top half of the acorn on the right. I think this unlikely to be coincidence. Either they are both castings (one better than the other) or one is a casting of the other, but I'm afraid I'm not fond of either one at this point.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

Norm
    You make some interesting points.I did get both these badges from the same auction house,but years apart.I do appreciate your interest.
    Best regards,Steve

Good detective work Norm.

No wonder a few of us were confused because of the obverse image that was originally posted.

Thanks,Martin.
    Last edited by martinw; 07-21-2014 at 01:10 AM.