Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?

Article about: Hi, I have acquired this pilot observer badge. I had it verified multiple times, but recently I've been told that it is a fake. I would just like to know either way. I tried to take pictures

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Maybe this will help?
    This is a early Tombac badge Glenn.We can not compare a early badge with a very late war badge my friend.

Edit:I am also not very familar with the Pilot badges,but i would also say that the badge have a good chance as Ned stated.It is looking believable imo.Typical late war Assmann rivets and also the set up is looking good for this period of Assmann productions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

I'm sorry, but I've never felt good about these double marked Assmann L/64 badges. As others have debated, these pieces have only been seen within the last 10 years. I certainly don't remember them any later than that. There are some collectors who accept these as "late war zinc Assmann PO's, but as for me, I wouldn't have it in my collection. The markings are controversial and the detailing is very low quality. It's hard to believe that the Assmann firm's "late war" production was of such atrocious work. Why are you selling it on Gunbroker, by the way?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I agree that the double marked badges of Assmann are a bit sceptical.A part of collectors believe,that they are were made very late war.A other part are believe that they are were made after the war.And a other part are believing that they are fakes....

We know also,that a very known faker out of Germany (the most of us know him) this badges fakes.Thats are the facts.

I have the information that Assmann have to destroyed all dies at once after the war.The guy who gave this Information,was speaking self with Mr.Assmann.When this information is right and i personal believe it,than is this double marked production not a after war production.

IMO is this badge looking believable.But only my personal opinion.

All true, but has anyone known of any of these double marked PO's from the 60's,70's or even the 80's? As far as I know, they appear to have shown up on the markets in the last 10 years. There are late war Assmann Pilot badges and they are not marked in this fashion-why then these PO's? So many Assmann late wars are marked with the single "A" and yet these have the double mark? The only badges that I know of that Assmann did this with are the Paratroopers. I'm leaning towards anything else being a high end fake.

One online source(cimilitaria) states that the double mark was used by Assmann only in 1945 on Paratroopers and on Flak badges.
    William

I'm suspicious of the nice gilt plating. If it is/was a late war badge,
    the plating would have deteriorated - perhaps even before
    a silver wash might dissolve.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Only a few pics out of the very useful book of Stephen Thomas Previtera (Combat Badges of the Third Reich Volume 2 Luftwaffe).This book is very good and was always a good investment.

Pilot Badge with identical parts:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?   Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?  

Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?   Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?  

Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?   Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?  

Interesting! The wreath is definitely the same as shown in the book for the Pilot's badge-even down to the nine o clock flaw on the inner rim on the reverse. Odd in the fact, though, that this one exhibits Brass rivets and the posted one looks to have steel. So then, this posted badge is either post war assembled with genuine parts, or, if the book is absolutely true, it's a mid to late 1944 to early 1945 Issued badge. Other than the rivets, the rest of the parts and hardware seem to be a straight match for the example in the book.

I'm still not understanding, however, of how the double maker mark PO's were basically other than the Para badges unknown before the last 10 years and I came across a post from a few years ago while looking for more information on this piece that Bob Hritz is also uncomfortable with these double marked Assmann PO's. But, if the book is fully reliable, who am I to argue with it? Personally, I would not want to spend a couple of thousand dollars on such a controversial badge, but if the original poster is at ease with it, then all the better for him! It could well be a fairly rare badge under the circumstances shown.
    William

Thanks for the postings guys. Considering the circumstances that I bought it, I am pretty comfortable with keeping it and assuming it is authentic. I was trying to sell it, but now I don't know. Can't keep everything, but some things are too good to sell. Any advice on long term storage as to preserve it?

Thanks,
    Phil

[QUOTE=behlftball;979801]Thanks for the postings guys. Considering the circumstances that I bought it, I am pretty comfortable with keeping it and assuming it is authentic. I was trying to sell it, but now I don't know. Can't keep everything, but some things are too good to sell. Any advice on long term storage as to preserve it?

It's in the book ain't it? Good enough for me! Keep it in a clean dry place, and give it a wipe once in a while with a soft dry cloth if handled with bare hands. That'll work.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I still stand by what I said,details are very poor especially on the eagle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast