Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Balkan Shield

Article about: The trial engraving by Albin Scheer, March 1945 ............

Default Balkan Shield

The trial engraving by Albin Scheer, March 1945 ............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Balkan Shield  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Balkan Shield
    P
    Many

It is a fake item, that shield was never produced in Third Reich era because it was not instituted so therefore it was not awarded to anyone, although it was planned and considered, but just there is no even some genuine prototype of it.

MAP
    ?

Robin,

I will admit I'm highly skeptical give the fact that (as noted) they were never instituted, plus the rather crude artistry. So I'm wondering what the back story is on these two items and where they came from.

thanks,

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Perhaps the same explanation applies as provided by HPL on this thread

Warsaw Shield

MAP
    ?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Perhaps the same explanation applies as provided by HPL on this thread

Warsaw Shield
    Fantastic

I joyfully stand corrected!!!

Congratulations Robin. A nice piece of history

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

CBH
    ?

I would have also dismissed these as fakes, but coming from Mr. Lumsden fine collection, I'm glad to be wrong.
    It's great to see these super rare items, one of a kind as it where.
    Thanks for sharing and posting again.

MAP
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    I would have also dismissed these as fakes, but coming from Mr. Lumsden fine collection, I'm glad to be wrong.
    It's great to see these super rare items, one of a kind as it where.
    Thanks for sharing and posting again.
    Yes. Well luckily I didn't step in it and dismiss them outright just noted I was skeptical and wanted to know the back story so could understand. I've been around long enough to know I know very little LoL

But I am quite happy to stand corrected and for Robin

The Balkan Shield design on which the above piece is based is from a hand-drawn sketch by Benno von Arent dated 7 March 1945. Nothing more is known about this, really, but it is believed that the design was commissioned by the FHQ due to plans to create such an award.

In any case, the Third Reich collapsed soon afterwards and this shield was never instituted, manufactured or awarded.

Accoding to the description in post # 1, this model would appear to have been commissioned from Albin Scheer around the same time as his models for the Warsaw Shield. If Mr. Lumsden has more background information on this piece, I would appreciate it for him to share it here.

Hello Andreas.
    I also have the original BvA sketch for the Balkan Shield.
    I have no paperwork linking the Balkan Model to Scheer, but the style of engraving with distinctive cross-edged borders etc., and the metal used, lead me to believe that Scheer was also the engraver of the Balkan.
    Given the documented use of Scheer by von Arent / the Kanzlei for the Warsaw Model, it makes sense that Scheer would also have been commissioned for the Balkan.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Balkan Shield   Balkan Shield  

Balkan Shield