Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.

Article about: For all around general reference I find Detlev Niemann's "Orders and Decorations of Germany 1871-1945" to be one of the best books out there. While certainly not free of mistakes i

?

Default The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.

We see quite a few posts here from members wanting advice on which reference books to read or buy. Obviously there is no one work that will encompass all aspects of collecting Third Reich decorations so I'm starting this thread for members to write a review of their favourite reference books.

It would be good to see a brief written overview of the book in question and a few photos showing the content and layout of the book. A summary at the end would also be good listing your likes/dislikes and any other critique.

It's good to actually get hands on reviews so please only post books you own or have read, don't just link to sites that sell books as it defeats the object of the thread.

Only post books that are specifically about collecting Orders and Decorations of the Third Reich.

Please don't post books that are about steel helmets, field gear or your thoughts on 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. Any posts about books on non relevant topics will be deleted so don't waste your time or mine!

You can post books about those decorations which have their own sub forums in this thread.

I'l start off with a recent addition to my bookshelves - War Badges of the Kriegsmarine by Gordon Williamson.

This is a book aimed at the collector of Kriegsmarine decorations and is presented in a hardback book in an easy to follow format.

It starts off with a brief overview of the manufacturing techniques and markings likely to be encountered on these badges and then goes on to cover the badges in more depth.
    It gives information on the award criteria and the institution detail of each particular badge before covering all the known makers of said badge as well as the unknown and unmarked pieces.
    There is also a section in each chapter which shows the award certificates, Soldbuch entries and photos of the badge in wear. It is interspersed with good, high quality photos of the badges showing the front, back, makers marks, hinges, pins, catches etc together with a description of each image. There are also images from period adverts and publications where appropriate.
    At the end there are sections on miscellaneous awards, campaign decorations, cases and packets and a chapter on the 1957 versions of the war badges.

Overall, a good easy to use work which can be referenced easily and the photos are of sufficient quality to provide a detailed look at the awards it is about and has been my 'go to book' when looking at badges posted here on the forum.

My only criticism is that it doesn't cover any of the U-Boot Kriegsabzeichen which I feel leaves a hole that should've been filled. However, the author has covered these badges in another publication - Torpedo Los. I feel the omission of the badges should've been addressed without the need to buy another book and to keep all the badges in one place and in one book.
    A marketing ploy? Perhaps.

That said, I would highly recommend this work to anyone who has a passing interest in the Kriegsmarine or the awards earned by those personnel. A lot to see, read and learn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.   The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  

The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.   The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  

The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.   The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  

The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  
    Last edited by Adrian; 03-11-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.
    P
    Many

Default Re: The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.

This will be a very informative thread! Good thinking Adrian, I am looking forward to seeing whats out there!

I find this book really useful, I have learned so much from it. The pictures show amazing close up detail of flaws, tell-tale signs of how to identify makers etc and there is also some good narrative on the history of each maker.

The book tends to go a bit too analytical which can go over the head of simple collectors like me but the hard core guys will love that!

A superb reference and an enjoyable read

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread. 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Also, although not a book, the up to date magazine 'International Medal Collector' is a superb reference and educational publication.

Excellent articles written by collectors for collectors. The magazine focuses 99% on Third Reich medals and decorations.

I have collected every one and I cant put them down!

Here is a small selection some issues. If anyone would like any shots of the inside or indeed any information on articles please ask

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread.  The Book Review and Recommendation Thread. 
    Last edited by Woolgar; 03-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

CBH
    ?

I have a old battered copy of "For Fuhrer and Fatherland" by Angolia , it doesn't have as detailed photos as the works above but is a pretty good overview of TR medals .
    cheers Chris
    Last edited by Adrian; 03-11-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: As said in the opening post of the thread, Orders and Decorations ONLY!

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    This will be a very informative thread! Good thinking Adrian, I am looking forward to seeing whats out there!

I find this book really useful, I have learned so much from it. The pictures show amazing close up detail of flaws, tell-tale signs of how to identify makers etc and there is also some good narrative on the history of each maker.

The book tends to go a bit too analytical which can go over the head of simple collectors like me but the hard core guys will love that!

A superb reference and an enjoyable read

Nick
    Looks fantastic !
    Do you know of any book, just as comprehensive, about the EK2 ??

MFG
    Marc

Great stuff guys keep 'em coming!...
    Ooops and girls!..

Hi Marc, you will have to wait unitl next year for the new book by my friend George on the EKII:

The Iron Cross 2nd Class

by George Stimson.

Publishing date: Winter 2014

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I am a fan of the Forman's Guide to Third Reich German Awards & Documents, i have a first print copy from 1978, the 25 anniversary book has just been released.
    Morris

?

I'm sure there must be more books and reviews out there somewhere..........?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Also, although not a book, the up to date magazine 'International Medal Collector' is a superb reference and educational publication.

Excellent articles written by collectors for collectors. The magazine focuses 99% on Third Reich medals and decorations.

I have collected every one and I cant put them down!

Here is a small selection some issues. If anyone would like any shots of the inside or indeed any information on articles please ask

Nick
    Hey, can I see shots of the inside please? Thank

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast