Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bronzes SA-Sportabzeichen question.

Article about: I got this and three other items today and was wondering, since I've another of these w/o any numbers stamped into it, what that might mean? party #? what?

Default Bronzes SA-Sportabzeichen question.

I got this and three other items today and was wondering, since I've another of these w/o any numbers stamped into it, what that might mean? party #? what?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bronzes SA-Sportabzeichen question.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bronzes SA-Sportabzeichen question.
    P
    Many

I would suggest it means that this one was issued to someone.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Map; that explains a lot! I wonder how many manufacturers there were for these?, and if any are more collectible (scarce makers) than others?

edit: having read the excellent tread to which you've pointed me, I followed this link:

World War 2 Awards.com - SA-Sportabzeichen

to find what exactly the badge was presented for. My question is, once a candidate had completed the "three groups" of tests, did all candidates in the group (provided they satisfactorily completed all the tests) receive a pin? How was it decided who got what? Obviously we see survived, mostly the award in bronze (finish), so I'm thinking it was awarded based on an overall test score; like some participants got an A, others a B and the lion's share of them got a C! True? just wondering.

regards, mitch

MAP
    ?

beyond what is in that thread and a few others, I do not have much more knowledge. I'm sure there are some guys here who can answer your questions. Sorry couldn't help more.

Maybe a wiki search may help (from a top level)...I'm at work now and can't delve into this at the moment.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by rynegold View Post
    Thanks Map; that explains a lot! I wonder how many manufacturers there were for these?, and if any are more collectible (scarce makers) than others?

regards, mitch
    Hello Mitch,
    to answer this part of your question with the little research that I have carried out is your badge is a type 2 badge and because it is numbered it is one of the two makers of this badge.
    I would say neither are particularly rare.

Doug

Quote by rynegold View Post
    to find what exactly the badge was presented for. My question is, once a candidate had completed the "three groups" of tests, did all candidates in the group (provided they satisfactorily completed all the tests) receive a pin? How was it decided who got what? Obviously we see survived, mostly the award in bronze (finish), so I'm thinking it was awarded based on an overall test score; like some participants got an A, others a B and the lion's share of them got a C! True? just wondering.
    Of course everybody who qualified for the badge was awarded one.

The "Group" has nothing to do with a group of people, it refers to the three categories of tests [Übungsgruppen], which every candidate had to undergo. They were: Group 1 = physical exercises [Leibesübungen], group 2 = military exercises [Wehrsport], group 3 = field exercises [Geländedienst])

Initially (from 1933 to 1937), the three grades of the badge identified the wearer's skill level/duty position: Bronze was awarded to those who had successfully passed the tests, Silver was for instructors and Gold was for examiners.

The final system identified the wearer's number of re-qualifications and/or his age group. It broke down like this:

• Bronze = For succesful completion of the required training/exercises and tests by men of less than 35 years of age. Minimum age was initially 18; in 1939, this was lowered to 17.
    • Silver = For succesful attendance at the annual repeated exercises in five consecutive years after having attained the Bronze grade and for men who were at least 35 years of age at the time of initial qualification or who completed the 35th year of their life during the course of the repeated exercises.
    • Gold = For succesful attendance at the annual repeated exercises in six consecutive years after having attained the Silver grade and for men who were at least 40 years of age at the time of initial qualification or who completed the 40th year of their life during the course of the repeated exercises.

Thank you HPL2008! that explains it very well.

Hi Mitch, nothing for me to add other than it looks like a good numbered original, the rarity rises in these as you go up the grades. Leon.

an original.