MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Cloth Back Lappland shield

Article about: I just wanted your views on this shield . I posted it on another thread but i thought I'd start a new one . It is backed in wool the thread used passed the burn test . The back side has a ta

CBH
    ?

Default Cloth Back Lappland shield

I just wanted your views on this shield . I posted it on another thread but i thought I'd start a new one . It is backed in wool the thread used passed the burn test . The back side has a tar like substance on it . I was hoping someone might know if it's good or not . I've had it for maybe 20 years now . So no returns ! Thanks
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cloth Back Lappland shield   Cloth Back Lappland shield  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cloth Back Lappland shield
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Cloth Back Lappland shield

As mentioned in the other thread, originals are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse s**t and unless they come with provenance there is no way anyone can tell you a good one from a bad one.

They weren't made in a factory or by a noted manufacturer, they were made in the field so to speak and consequently, condition, quality and details will vary making it an impossible job to authenticate 100%.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Members would be best to search the forum, before asking for opinions...answers are there...if this fails then post, these shields were only discussed a couple of days ago, do not be frightened to do a bit of research.....it is surprisingly satisfying.
    Prost ! Steve.

I used to have this type of Lappland shield in my collection. It was never well received on the forums. Nevertheless in my opinion this type is original. Problem is you have to take this pieces on faith (Unless you can get one direct from a vet).

This is exactly the same as mine, down to the tar like substance on the back, just feels real flimsy to me, could be done in a POW camp, don't know, just letting you know someone else has the same one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cloth Back Lappland shield   Cloth Back Lappland shield  

For me it's a '57er. All the details & shape are too precise. Remember the "original" ones (& I use that term loosely) were POW made, where resources were at a minimum. Or what the guards turned a blind eye to. Stewy

The problem with these is what do you compare them with? As said, POW made to no real set pattern using tools and materials that were available at the time, which wasn't the same everywhere was it?

Just for interest, here's a rare original in wear. Note also the de-nazified or '57 version EK1, IAB and wound badge as well.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

One thing I look for in Lappland shields is which direction the eagles head is looking. I know it's not much to go on but for me it's a starting point & I find the more believable ones face to the right as you look at the obverse. Which this does, I must admit. Any with backing always bother me. If you'd got away with making it behind the guards back, would you really bother with a backing cloth that you'd have to sew all the way round. Rather than three or for (usually three) fixing points? As I say, it's just something I keep an eye on. Stewy