Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DAK badge

Article about: A picture of the cap badge he mentions on a tropical side cap and another version of the same badge, a vet bring back posted elsewhere. The cap badge was a locally made item and a very small

Default DAK badge

Though not an award as such, I wondered if any of you badge people can post some opinions on this item, as it is marked for Deschler, Ludenscheid and is a unique item. It is shown in the Kurtz Afrikakorps book and is being offered for sale for $10,000.00 Does the hardware setup match this maker?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK badge   DAK badge  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK badge
    P
    Many

Default Re: DAK badge

Cheap
    Never seen such thing before mate.
    Very interesting.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Never seen one before either, but an interesting piece nonetheless. I'm always wary of these "one of a kind" type pieces.

Tom

?

I've never seen one of these before and am slightly sceptical of it being marked with a well known maker such as Deschler. I wonder if Deschler would go to the trouble of making such an item considering the low production run and it not actually being an 'official' award?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The text at the bottom of the last pic dates the badge as 'July 1941, this pin is believed to be one of the earliest examples of Sonderverband 288 specific insignia.'

How they surmise July 1941, I don't know, as there appears to be no 'July' engraved on the badge. The problem I have with it is that in July '41 when the unit was raised, it was called 'Sonderverband F' (aka Combat group Menton after the original commander), and only became 'Sonderverband 288' in November of '41. This lasted until October '42 when they were again re-named Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment Afrika.

I can't reconcile the Ersatz-Abteilung 8 as being anywhere near the Western Desert at these times, or afterwards for that matter, perhaps others know better? It would be interesting, as Sonderverband 288 were a pretty 'sexy' outfit, even by DAK standards it would appear!

Sonderverband 288 « War and Game

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 09-17-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Head dobber bent.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Some very good points raised and as my interest is purely academic, not a problem for me and I have always been dubious about it. It is said to come with some form of provenance, a letter or something of that ilk. I am trying to get some more info from the seller. I do not have 10 grand nor would I spend 10 k on any item of militaria, unless I won the lottery.

If original, it would be a really cool thing for a DAK collector to own, but as stated above, way beyond my budget.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

10 grand...............man this hobby makes me feel poor sometimes lol

?

Thanks for the link, Ned.
    I doubt an outfit like that would even make a badge like that. Looks strange to me.
    Where does the reserve 'abteilung' come into the picture!
    Im suspicious of this one, but not being a trusty person and having never seen or even heard of this badge (let alone the outfit), one shouldnt pay any heed to what ever Im posting in regards to this badge.

With regards to the October 42 renaming of the unit, HW Schmidt in his personal account with them still refers to them as SV288 in November of that year and throughout the retreat after Alamein, though technically he was incorrect. As Ned alluded to, this unit is the most desirable of all Afrika units and their insignia is highly collectable and consequently expensive.

According to the info I have it was formed in mid 1941 and was called SV288 from the start.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 09-17-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

I remain very skeptical about this badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast