Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

DAK badge

Article about: A picture of the cap badge he mentions on a tropical side cap and another version of the same badge, a vet bring back posted elsewhere. The cap badge was a locally made item and a very small

Default Re: DAK badge

Quote by Scout View Post
    Thanks for the link, Ned.
    I doubt an outfit like that would even make a badge like that. Looks strange to me.
    Where does the reserve 'abteilung' come into the picture!
    Im suspicious of this one, but not being a trusty person and having never seen or even heard of this badge (let alone the outfit), one shouldnt pay any heed to what ever Im posting in regards to this badge.
    The Bevo woven cloth version and plenty of pics of this being worn exist.

As I posted earlier, I think the thread starter is bogus and I just wondered how the makers marks and the hardware compared to known original badges from this maker? I wondered if it had been converted from an original badge, maybe a wound badge, but if the the MM and pin set up is wrong then the rest is academic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK badge  
    Attached Images Attached Images DAK badge 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK badge
    P
    Many

I don't care for the look of it at all. The age appearance to it looks entirely too new and shiny glossy. If it's a fake or fantasy item-and I suspect that it is-to put a 10 grand tag on it is a gutsy move by the makers. Did Deschler even Make "private purchase" items for officers? And of Silver, no less? Afrika Korps? That would have worked out nice...shine it up good and wear it on your tunic out in the desert...Might as well hang a mirror on yourself while you're at it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Though in theory they wore silver and gold wound badges and assault badges etc which would have been hardly less shiny when new. Looking too new is also not something that can be applied to a silver badge as anyone can polish them at any time.

If it was original, I would expect it to have far more of a 3D effect to the design, whilst this almost looks acid etched and fairly flat, whilst the dedication on the reverse looks very poorly executed IMO.

I still wonder if anyone can comment from the pics on the MM and the hardware setup?
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    As Ned alluded to, this unit is the most desirable of all Afrika units and their insignia is highly collectable and consequently expensive.
    Yes, but 10K expensive?

That would make it in a fairly exclusive league of awards that could be valued so high. On a par with a Ritterkreuz with some form of leafy garnish! I'm just trying to think of another piece worth that much. Answers on a postcard?

And for a unit badge? Would a U-boat insignia badge from U-47 be so high? Do other 'sexy' unit badges command such prices?

I have no idea. But to spend 10K on a sketchy unit badge of which there doesn't seem to be many known examples is a high risk game. A unique item it might be but it's a little too 'unique' for my liking and I won't lose any sleep by not owning it!

The font style and overall execution also doesn't look quite right to me either and I'm fairly sure the hardware isn't Deschler. In fact I don't think Deschler even made a combat badge (correct me if I'm wrong) so a run of these badges makes it even more unlikely in my opinion.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Good info Adrian which is what I was after and fits with my own thoughts on it.

I would add that if it was an original, it would be a one of a kind, as no others are known to exist. The Bevo version I posted are fairly common and usually fetch circa $800-1000.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Yes, but 10K expensive?

That would make it in a fairly exclusive league of awards that could be valued so high. On a par with a Ritterkreuz with some form of leafy garnish! I'm just trying to think of another piece worth that much. Answers on a postcard?

And for a unit badge? Would a U-boat insignia badge from U-47 be so high? Do other 'sexy' unit badges command such prices?

I have no idea. But to spend 10K on a sketchy unit badge of which there doesn't seem to be many known examples is a high risk game. A unique item it might be but it's a little too 'unique' for my liking and I won't lose any sleep by not owning it!

The font style and overall execution also doesn't look quite right to me either and I'm fairly sure the hardware isn't Deschler. In fact I don't think Deschler even made a combat badge (correct me if I'm wrong) so a run of these badges makes it even more unlikely in my opinion.
    Indeed.

I dont buy it (.................in more ways than one).

"I have no idea. But to spend 10K on a sketchy unit badge of which there doesn't seem to be many known examples is a high risk game. A unique item it might be but it's a little too 'unique' for my liking and I won't lose any sleep by not owning it!"

Many? Or Any? Do any other examples of this odd badge exist? Are there any in known collections or books-besides this one being mentioned? Any photos of it being worn by, say, the field commander of the unit?(Presuming only an upper echelon officer of the outfit would have had the pretension to have it made and to wear it) Unless such are known, I do Not believe this to be a legitimate and authentic piece-despite any huge asking price.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

it would almost seem to be a piece offered by good old snyders treasures lol........to good and expensive to be true

I would pass if offered to me.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Some info from the seller.

"Jerry, Indeed an interesting item! it was acquired from Ron Manion's Collection back in the 80's. It came with a Bronze SVBD 288 field made pin that was converted to wear on a cap. Came as a pair. The modified pin is good and a provenance picture surfaced in 2004 which I'll post. Dal McQuirk from New Zealand appraised it and said it was period made and good. Alas, I have found no photos. This pin was featured in Schiffer's book, "Afdirkakorps." One item on the back clinched it for Dal. Contact me off-line and I'll let you know what it was."

For those who don't know, Dal McQuirk wrote the book on Afrikakorps, literally.

I still don't like it, but I will contact the seller again and see if I can gather more info, just for academic purposes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast